The Virtual Vanport Mosaic Festival 2020 | Live Streaming Art Performances, Conversations, Oral History Screenings & More!
Join Vanport Mosaic for two weeks of memory activism opportunities, to explore and confront our local past and recent history of “othering” and its tragic consequences. This year’s festival will feature live streaming art performances, conversations, screenings & more!
Related Portland Events & Info
- Enter to Win Through May 18: How Do You #SupportSmallPDX? | Share Your Stories w/ Venture Portland for a Chance to WIN Gift Cards!
- Mother’s Day: Mother’s Day Events: Brunch, Specials, Gift Ideas, & More
- Science: Experience the Wonder of Science at Home w/ OMSI | Why Do Wash for 20 Seconds, Science Behind String Telephones & More!
- Trivia: ShanRock’s Triviology On The Video: Live Interactive TeleQuiz! | Play w/ a Team or Solo, Team Members Don’t Have to be in Same Location!
- Art Grants: Portland Institute for Contemporary Art Announces Emergency Relief Grants | $60,000 For Visual Artists
A memory activism online series curated by Story Midwife Laura Lo Forti
The 2020 program will be announced soon here and at www.vanportmosaic.org.
For questions, ideas and to offer help of any type, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In these times of collective amnesia, remembering is an act of resistance. For the FIFTH YEAR Vanport Mosaic invites you to explore the many silenced histories that surround us, in order to better understand our present, and write a new chapter where we all belong.
Join us for a series of live streaming art performances, conversations, oral history screenings, presentations to celebrate the lessons of resilience and resistance as defined and told by historically oppressed communities.
This multi-disciplinary event was awarded the Oregon Heritage Excellence Award 2017, the Spirit of Portland Award by City Commissioner Nick Fish, and the Columbia Slough Watershed Council’s Achievement Award.
Made possible by : Regional Arts & Culture Council, Oregon Cultural Trust, MCDD, City of Portland Office of Community & Civic Life; And the invaluable partnership of Cerimon House and Open Signal: Portland Community Media Center Artwork by Alex Chiu /created as part of Stories in Movement – a Vanport Mosaic program funded by the Office of Community and Civic Life/ Constructing Civic Dialogue Initiative
- Friday May 8th, 6pm PST Vanport Mosaic Festival: Standing Together Seeing and Being Seen
- Tuesday May 12th, 6pm PST Vanport Mosaic Festival: Love is what lightens by Aaron Spriggs
- Saturday May 16th, 6pm PST Vanport Mosaic Festival: See Her Strength, by Samson Syharath
- Saturday May 23rd, 6pm PST Vanport Mosaic Festival: Harvest, by Dmae Roberts/MediaRites
- Saturday May 30th, day long Vanport Day of Remembrance (documentary screenings, presentations, and artistic tributes)
Other confirmed events:
- Confuence Story Gathering
- The Secret Asian Man, by Samson Syharath
- More DeVotedly: Michelle Fuji talks with Douglas Detrick about her “Otherness: Togetherness” taiko project
- How long does it take to be an American? – a conversation between Sankar Raman/The Immigrant Story and Ramiza Koya, the author of The Royal Abduls
- Poetry: Lakayana Drury and Ken Yoshikawa
- Drumming and Singing: John Edmo
- Storytelling: Ed Edmo
- Conversations with Henk Pander, Alex Chiu
- Screening/Conversation on past and present NW hip hop history, how artists were capturing their realities at the time and how their commentaries plays into today. Hosted by Donovan Smith/Gentrification is Weird and Bruce Poinsette