Portland in the News: Signs of an Early Spring; Parade Dragon Restoration; and Best Botanical Garden in the US? | February 8, 2024
Installed in the 1960s on what was then the tallest building in Oregon, this weather beacon continues to beam twice daily weather forecasts to downtown Portland.
A gift to the state of Oregon from Taiwan in 1989, Portland’s parade dragon PoChiMu is getting a facelift this year after Portland Chinatown History Foundation received a grant to help fund a restoration effort.
And Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is in the running as the best botanical garden in the US.
Here’s a roundup of the goings-on in Portland this week:
- Travel Oregon: Chocolate Lover’s Guide to Oregon
- Travel Oregon: Experience Oregon’s Black-owned Restaurants
- Portland Mercury: PBOT Reveals Plan for Major 82nd Avenue Redesign
- Portland Monthly: Portland’s Tree Damage, through the Eyes of an Arborist
- Here is Oregon: For the Year of the Dragon, Portland Chinatown Museum will restore its 150-foot parade dragon
- KGW8: Is commuting by Amtrak train a better option to avoid I-5 bottleneck between Vancouver and Portland?
- Travel Noire: How to Spend 24 Hours in Black-owned Portland
Get Portland News delivered every Thursday! Subscribe to our newsletter here.