Event Operations Manager
Metro is dedicated to shaping a better future for the greater Portland region. The work the people of Metro do every day benefits the lives of the people who live here, today and tomorrow. We offer a highly competitive compensation and benefits program. Learn more about the benefits Metro offers. fits program and a dynamic place to work like the Oregon Convention Center.
The Oregon Convention Center (OCC) is hiring for two (2) Event Operations Managers. The Event Operations Managers will be a part of the Event Operations Department playing a key role in the leadership and direction of the Setup Team and working closely with Event Managers on event logistics and event oversight support. In this role, you will be responsible for venue oversight and management during the evening and weekend hours, ensuring the Oregon Convention Center is safe and welcoming for staff, clients and guests. The Event Operations Manager is a perfect position for seasoned hospitality, or event professionals, looking to expand their skillset and join a dynamic team at the Northwest’s largest event venue.
As the Event Operations Manager you will:
Provide Manager-on-Duty (MOD) coverage and oversight on evenings and weekends in the venue of all activities, in-house and contracted services, including A/V, telecom, set up, catering, guest experience, parking, and staff supervision.
Leading shift briefings for front-line staff and exhibitor load in or out
Troubleshooting technical errors
Supporting show management with changes
Lead the strategic planning for weekly schedules and workflow for the Setup team. Planning will include coordination with other departments, Setup Supervisors and Event Managers on timing, considerations, special requests and needs to ensure efficient and high-level service delivery.
Provide critical problem solving, high-level customer service, and de-escalation tactics to navigate issues and emergencies for clients, guests and staff.
Attributes for success:
- Ability to problem solve quickly and efficiently while weighing multiple factors
- Ability to resolve complex staff and client issues without additional support
- Ability to deescalate escalated issues and take lead in emergency situations
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks without jeopardizing service levels
- Ability to manage a diverse team with compassion, collaboration and accountability
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written
- Ability to strategically plan for efficient execution
- Proficiency with computers and software, including Microsoft Office and event management software
Diversity and Inclusion: At Metro, we’re committed to hiring a workforce representative of the communities we serve, recognizing that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We invest in employees by supporting equitable and inclusive hiring practices, employee policies and training programs.
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience
- Three years of relevant experience in the following areas: Direct management and oversight of line-level staff executing operational services
- Event management, planning or coordination
- Venue or hotel management
- Manger on Duty role in a hotel or event venue
- Required CPR Certification (within 3 months of employment)
- Crowd Management Certification (within 6 months of employment)
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Metro is committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, Metro has implemented a vaccine requirement policy for employees, paid and unpaid interns and volunteers.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is considered a minimum qualification requirement for Metro job applicants and this proof will be requested during the hiring process. View: Metro COVID-19 Vaccination policy (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader)
If you require an accommodation under this policy for a medical condition or disability, or sincerely held religious belief, please email [email protected].
If this statement is true for you, then you may be ineligible to apply:
If I was terminated for cause during any of my employment with Metro, or resigned in lieu of termination, I understand I may be ineligible for rehire for a minimum of 3 years.
Like to have:
You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify. However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain on your application how you meet any of the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills.
- Experience supervising or leading in a union environment
- Experience operating in a manager on duty capacity[MW1]
- Experience working in a convention center, exposition center or hotel
- Experience in guest services/experience for a large venue or hotel
- Experience in emergency response
- Experience leading culturally diverse teams[MH2]
Work location: This position will work on-site at the Oregon Convention Center (OCC). Due to the nature of the work, there is no option for teleworking. The initial schedule will be a 4-10 schedule; working 4 days with 10 hour shifts. The base schedule will be 2pm-12:30am Wednesday-Saturday or Saturday-Tuesday. These hours or days will change based on event needs.
COMPENSATION AND REPRESENTATION
Based on the Oregon Pay Equity Act requirements, Metro’s internal review and candidates qualifications the appointment will typically be made between $75,948.00 – $90,758.00 annually. The full salary range for this position is $75,948.00 – 105,567.00 annually.
This position is non- represented and is classified as a Service Supervisor III (click to read the full classification). Classification descriptions are typically written broadly and do not include the specific duties and responsibilities of the positions.
SCREENING AND EVALUATION:
The Application Packet: The application packet consists of the following documents. Please ensure that you upload these documents in your online application. Make sure your application is complete, missing any part of these items could result in an incomplete application and will not be moved forward in the recruitment.
Complete the electronic application; and
- Answer the supplemental questions.
- The Selection Process: We expect to evaluate candidates for this recruitment as follows. The selection process is subject to change.
- Initial review of minimum qualifications
- In-depth evaluation of application materials to identify the most qualified candidates
- Consideration of top candidates/interviews
- Reference Check
Recruiter: Lamarkus Gilliard
Email: [email protected]