Custodians – Day and Night Shifts
Website Reed College
The Custodian is responsible for cleaning residence halls, academic buildings and administrative offices on campus. The Custodian will also move furniture and equipment and support set up for special events on campus. This position reports to the Custodial Shift Supervisor.
We are currently looking to hire two full-time positions scheduled to work 40 hours per week:
Position 1:Day shift, working from 8:00am to 4:30pm, M-F with an hourly pay rate of $18.79
Position 2: Night shift,working from 11:30pm-8:00am, M-F with an hourly rate of $18.79 plus a $1.25/hour shift differential
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive and cost-free medical and dental insurance for you, and a 60% discount on medical and dental insurance for your dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, and many other campus amenities. Union membership is a condition of employment.
Who You Are
- You have custodial/cleaning experience, preferably six or more months of custodial or cleaning experience.
- You know the importance of keeping places clean and equipment running smoothly.
- You are a team player. You enjoy the good feeling of helping others with their work.
- You are an on-time and dependable person. You always show up on time and your attendance is superb.
- You are known for your safety mindset. When you do a job, at home or at work, you are always thinking about safety. You don’t rush through your work, you do it safely, even if it takes a few extra minutes.
- You don’t mind changing up your routine at work. You don’t mind switching your work assignment some days because it keeps things interesting.
- You are the kind of person who looks to solve a possible problem before it becomes one.
- If you don’t know something, you ask questions.
- You have strong professional boundaries. You are friendly without being friends with students.
- You are able to work indoors with exposure to chemicals and cleaning agents. You are able to work while standing, lifting, bending, pushing, reaching and pulling. Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
What You’ll Do
- Clean your assigned buildings on campus, including dusting, wiping, and vacuuming of all offices and rooms. Clean and disinfect bathrooms and kitchen areas. Restock supplies.
- Perform deep cleans when you find areas that need it.
- Collect all the trash and recycling from your buildings.
- Perform a wide variety of floor cleaning tasks, such as vacuuming, spot cleaning and shampooing carpets, damp mopping, stripping and refinishing floors.
- Be a team player. Help out by filling in for others while they are away.
- Participate in a start-of-shift meeting each day.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks, such as changing light bulbs.
- Be an advocate for safety. Follow all safety procedures and make sure that others do, too. – –
- Report any unsafe conditions or behaviors immediately.
- With your shift team, perform some group projects, such as team cleans or team maintenance.
- With your shift team, perform set-up and take-downs of equipment and seating for evening events.
- With your shift team, occasionally move office furniture.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com