Graphic Designer (Electronic Publishing Design Specialist 3) Remote
Website Oregon Department of Human Services
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively working to build an equitable agency with the Equity North Star as our guide toward our vision of an agency free of racism, discrimination and bias. We believe that teams in which everyone can show up as their full authentic self are key to creating a thriving workforce that can better serve communities. We welcome members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQIA2S+ community members, and others to apply.
Have you always wanted to be part of a collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team? Do you have extensive design experience with the Adobe Creative Cloud applications and eForms? If you are looking for an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of a new career, the position below may be for you. If interested, apply today!
The Office of Publications and Creative Services, located in Salem and supports the Oregon Department of Human Services and Oregon Health Authority, seeks 4 (four) talented individuals to serve as Electronic Publishing Design Specialist 3 (EPDS 3).
Additionally, you will consult with and advise program staff, other state entities, and contractors on the concept, usability, and desired look-and-feel for all types of solutions without guidance from supervisors, a distinction from the lower-level designer position. Lastly, you will lead complex projects without guidance and propose and present solutions to customers from creation to fruition.
Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS), A place to belong and make a difference!
· When you join the ODHS, you join a community of over 10,000 employees dedicated to serving and helping Oregonians achieve wellbeing and independence through opportunities that protect, empower, respect choice, and preserve dignity.
· Connect with ODHS Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and find a place to belong, build community and participate in shared learning. ERGs are employee-driven committees that support each other as well as the ODHS’ overall mission and vision.
· We are committed to building an antiracist and equitable agency. Equity is foundational to our role as a human services agency, and we are committed to integrating equity into all we do. The Equity North Star has four points that explain the agency’s goals related to equity, inclusion, and racial justice.
· We know that life is unpredictable and ODHS cares about keeping you well. Enjoy a work-life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, and competitive benefits packages including health, dental, vision and much more!
· If you have federal student loan debt or are thinking of going back to school, then you might benefit from the Student Loan Forgiveness Program. If you make 120 qualifying payments on your student loan while working full-time for a qualifying employer, your student loan debt may be forgiven.
What you need to qualify:
· Six years of graphic arts production experience, two years of which included providing direct technical consultation to customers and coordinating graphic design projects through to completion. Successful applicants will have experience in color separation and correction, technical illustration, and/or graphics or web software.
· A bachelor’s or associate degree in graphic arts may substitute for two years of experience.
· A bachelor’s degree in fine arts with a minimum of 18 quarter (12 semester) hours of graphic arts courses may substitute for one year of the experience.
· Transcripts must be submitted for all required and/or related courses. NOTE: Applicants invited for an interview should be prepared to present a personal portfolio of their work for review at that time.
We are looking for candidates with: Please note a cover letter is required.
· Coordinate’s work of contract designers or staff designers producing eForms, web pages and printed materials.
· Consults with customers on project needs by developing and presenting concepts and solutions for projects.
· Strong communication skills with the ability to convey requirements and needs into specific programming objectives.
· Proficient with good practices to design and develop quality and clean code that is Americans Disability Act (ADA) (Section 508) compliant.
Please be sure to clearly describe how you meet these attributes within your application materials. These attributes will be used to determine which candidates will be selected to move forward in the process. Make sure to read the ‘How to Apply’ section for any other requirements.
Your duties at a glance
This position is in the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) and Oregon Health Authority (OHA) Shared Services/Publications and Creative Services Office (PCS), which is part of The Publications and Creative Services Office consists of 31 FTE and manages the brand/design of ODHS|OHA forms and publications. PCS is committed to racial and socioeconomic equity as a driving factor to improve health outcomes for all communities that experience inequities by supplying creative services, alternate communications, creative technologies, and co-developing culturally appropriate communications to our communities.
As an Electronic Publishing Design Specialist 3, you will:
· Plan, create, design and oversee production of complex and time sensitive projects and comprehensive outreach campaigns and digital solutions with customers.
· Serve as project lead working directly with other team members, customer, vendors, private and public organizations or businesses, and the customer service representatives to ensure established deadlines are met.
· Troubleshoot digital solutions to solve technical production issues and may serve as project coordinator directly overseeing several team members’ work throughout a project.
· Design, produce and coordinate the printing of major department publications and forms. Consult with and advise program staff and EPDS 1/2’s on the concept and desired look-and-feel for all types of publications and forms.
· Produce and direct custom graphics for a variety of publications using traditional tools such as pen-and-ink, Train ODHS and OHA staff about branding, business card ordering, and project ordering procedures established by the PDS director, client feedback and the section’s team.
· Conduct training classes by presenting job-specific, agency-specific and generic software applications (e.g., Adobe Acrobat, PowerPoint and so on). and watercolor as well as the software and SaaS solutions.
· Remote work or alternative work location will be considered in filling this position. The ability to report to Salem is required when business or operational needs are dependent on onsite activities.
· Function in a high-energy environment with frequent interruptions. Must be flexible to meet tight deadlines and state of emergency support services.
· Frequent contact with other government staff, agency partners, contractors and the general public.
· Work with a high degree of independence and receive general supervision from administrative superior. Assignments are often self-generated and approved by a supervisor for implementation or are given in general terms with a due date and reviewed upon completion. Must ensure that completed work is in compliance with ODHS|OHA policies and federal regulations.
How to apply
Your work history profile, cover letter, resume and portfolio are the perfect opportunity to highlight your interest in the position and showcase your skills and experience that make you the best candidate for the position.
· Please upload a resume or complete the Workday history profile. Note: Your resume and cover letter may be uploaded in the Resume/CV field on the online application.
· Required: A cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the Minimum Qualifications, and essential attributes, listed. We read every letter submitted to help us understand your experience related to the position.
· Current State of Oregon employees: Apply via your employee Workday account. · If you are not a current State of Oregon employee: view this application instructional video.
· After you submit your application, you will have additional tasks to complete in Workday. Please continue to check your Workday account throughout the recruitment process.
· Finalists for this position will be subject to a computerized criminal history and abuse/neglect check. Adverse background information will be reviewed and could result in withdrawal of a conditional job offer or termination of employment. Fingerprints may be required.
· The Oregon Department of Human Services does not offer visa sponsorship. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. ODHS will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.
· This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
· This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
· Have questions about Workday, and want some tips on understanding the state application process? Click here to apply.
· For questions about the job duties or application process, please contact Sugei Hernandez via email [email protected] or by phone 971-375-8675. Please be sure to include the job requisition number.
To apply for this job email your details to CHRISTI.ZENTNER@odhs.oregon.gov