General Manager/Regional Executive Director, PNW
General Manager/Regional Executive Director, Pacific Northwest
Who We Are:
JoyRx, the mission delivery of Children’s Cancer Association, is the only organization of its kind. Established in 1995, JoyRx creates transformational moments of Joy for seriously ill children. We combine energy, commitment, and vision to transform the pediatric healthcare experience. For nearly three decades, we have pioneered innovative, award-winning pediatric programs using music, mentorship, and nature to help alleviate loneliness, fear, isolation, and perception of pain as patients endure long hospital stays and intense treatments.
The Pacific Northwest team consists of 20 staff members. The Portland team enjoys the support and partnership of a regional business influencer group, the JoyRx Pacific Northwest Leadership Council – local business leaders who assist with fundraising, growth, and mission delivery ambassadorship and the Young Professionals Council, inspired business associates passionate about learning more about volunteer leadership and the impact they can have on greater community.
JoyRx is passionate about diversity, equity, and inclusion and we believe that a diverse staff of highly skilled and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the organization. We strive to create a work environment the reflects the communities we serve where everyone feels empowered to bring their whole, authentic selves to work, fully as they identify. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Who You Are:
You are an experienced General Manager/Executive Director with a background in mission impact program delivery, managing partnerships, and driving support for organizations through private, family, community, and corporate foundations and giving programs. You are a fundraiser at heart with an eye for detail and strong project management skills. You enjoy working collaboratively across teams and geographies to gather necessary information to build compelling cases to fund projects. You have experience and expertise in closing six figure donations from corporate, foundation and individual donors. You are curious, looking for new and innovative means to grow mission-based and youth-focused programming and fund strategic growth initiatives. The General Manager/Regional Executive Director reports directly to the CEO and is a member of JoyRx’s national leadership team. You are comfortable leading all aspects of a regional non-profit with national scale and capacity. Oversight of programming and fundraising are your two key pillars of focus.
Essential Functions of the General Manager/Regional Executive Director:
Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership and direction to PNW JoyRx team, including overseeing the development and implementation of the strategic program plan, annual budget and fundraising plan.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the PNW Leadership Council, Young Professionals Council, the local Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, donors, community partners and the JoyRx national leadership team.
- Supervise and manage the PNW team, providing support and guidance to ensure JoyRx’s goals are met.
- Support staff to ensure staff are performing at their highest potential, are finding growth and fulfillment in their contributions, and have clear roadmaps to professional development.
- Ensure reward and recognition is a consist component of organization culture
- In partnership with HR and Finance – ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Work closely with National VP of Programs and regional program leader to ensure consistent execution of JoyRx program delivery, with clear goals and measurable outcomes.
- Oversee and support implementing programs and services that align with JoyRx’s broader mission and long-range strategic plan.
- Work with the local program team, volunteers, and community partners to identify new program opportunities and develop strategies to expand existing programs.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with hospital partners, healthcare partners, donors, sponsors, and community partners to ensure continued support for JoyRx program delivery.
- Work collaboratively with JoyRx’s Vice President of Brand Marketing and Vice President of Programs to develop and implement strategies to increase JoyRx’s visibility and brand within the local healthcare and business communities.
Financial Management & Fundraising
- Work with CEO, Vice president of Finance and Operations, Senior Vice President of Revenue Development to determine annual budget and track monthly against goals.
- Develop and manage the annual regional budget, ensuring that resources are allocated effectively and efficiently.
- Monitor JoyRx’s regional financial performance and provide regular updates to the executive team and the Board of Directors.
- Utilizes a hands-on approach to drive the success of team performance and results of all fundraising categories including local events, major gifts, planned giving, annual online and monthly giving programs, donor relations, and corporate giving
- Ensure compliance with all financial policies and procedures.
- Leadership Council and Board Relations:
- Work closely with the local team, the PNW Leadership Council, YPC, and local members of the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic influencer, fundraising, and impact plans.
- Provide regular reports to the executive team and the Board of Directors on JoyRx’s regional performance, including financial and programmatic performance.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Motivated by JoyRx’s mission with a drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Strong leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate and inspire staff, volunteers, community partners, donors, leadership council and the Board of Directors
- Comfortable with ambiguity and competing priorities
- Established connections in the Portland area and strong knowledge of the fundraising landscape.
- Able to identify funding projects and match them with potential funders
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to build information sharing and consensus
- Proficient in the use and creation of Excel spreadsheets, including formulas and tables
- Outstanding planning, organizational, and analytical skills
- Sound judgment in problem-solving and decision-making techniques
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or a combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 8 years of experience in nonprofit management including experience in fundraising, program development and staff management
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Experience in Apricot 360 beneficial
- Understanding or familiarity with healthcare systems a plus
- Relationship Building – Establish and maintain productive relationships with children, families, partners, and staff. Initiate contacts readily.
- Planning & Organizing – Prioritize multiple tasks and maximize use of available time to ensure work is accomplished efficiently and accurately.
- Written Communication – Compose informative and convincing documents. Use written language to convey substance and intent with accuracy. Demonstrate experience in grant writing.
Energy – Exhibit stamina and endurance and maintain a fast pace over time.
At JoyRx we are committed to a work environment where each person feels a sense of belonging and they are recognized, appreciated, and valued.
This position is based in our Portland, Oregon office, which also serves as our national headquarters. JoyRx offers a hybrid office environment, with both onsite (professional open office environment) days and the ability to work remotely up to two days/week (Mondays & Fridays).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Due to the nature of JoyRx’s work with immunocompromised children, it is our responsibility to take every precaution possible to protect the health and safety of the children and families we serve. All JoyRx employees, regardless of work location, are required to receive COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
This position requires frequent operation of a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. This position requires the ability to perform basic math and speak, hear, write, and read English. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some occasional lifting is required (up to 20 lbs).
This position requires occasional travel in Portland Metro areas and there may also be limited travel to other key regions.
Compensation & Benefits:
JoyRx is a growth organization that looks for team members to grow with it. JoyRx offers a generous total rewards package, a casual work environment, and an inclusive culture.
This position offers a competitive benefits package, bonus opportunity and salary range starting at $140,000/year. Final offer amounts and levels are determined by multiple factors, including your experience, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Generous benefits include:
- Bonus opportunity in addition to salary
- Heavily subsidized medical, vision, dental, and alternative care benefits
- Generous PTO package, paid wellness days, and nine (plus two floating) paid holidays
- Paid long-term disability & life insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- 401(k) with 3.5 percent JoyRx match
- Paid four-week sabbatical to pursue creative talents after eight years of service
- Professional development annual benefit
- Subsidized on-site parking or public transportation reimbursement.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) exempt position. Some flexibility in hours is allowed; days and hours of work are generally Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am – 5:30 pm, and Friday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, with the option to be remote Mondays and Fridays. This position requires occasional evening hours and weekend work.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position. Job duties may change at any time, with or without notice.
Complete the application through our application portal and answer the following two questions in your cover letter:
1. Tell us how your previous work history has prepared you for this role.
2. Tell us if the compensation and benefits information listed above meet your needs.
To learn more about JoyRx, the mission delivery of Children’s Cancer Association, visit JoyRx.org.
Watch Founder and Chief Joy Officer Regina Ellis’ TEDx Talk on the Joy Effect
To apply for this job email your details to recruiting@Joyrx.org