Website Elevate Oregon
Job Title: Teacher/Mentor | Reports To: Director of Programs
FLSA: Full Time – Exempt | Salary: $40,000 to $50,000 per year, depending on experience, with benefits
Elevate Oregon is a non-profit organization for at-risk youth that supports 3rd–12th grade students in the Parkrose neighborhood of Portland, one of the most diverse school districts in Oregon.
Our year-round mentoring program integrates with the core high school curriculum to raise graduation rates and college enrollment, offering career development for mainly students of color in the 6th–12th grades. We start early building impactful relationships, with daily mentoring and support in/outside school for 3rd–5th graders.
Elevate Oregon employs culturally responsive practices as a key aspect of our core mission. 93% of Elevate youth identify as youth of color. Our Executive Director is African American and our staff is 85% BIPOC. We make sure that our youth are truly seen and valued for who they are, and have the opportunity to see themselves in our leadership.
Elevate Oregon is growing! With investment from foundation, government, and corporate funders as well as deep commitments from individuals, we are continuing to receive opportunities to grow our services and connect with our students.
This position is offered on the following conditions:
- You successfully pass a criminal background check in accordance with Elevate Oregon’s policy.
- You successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- You successfully pass a Department of Motor Vehicles records check in accordance with Elevate Oregon’s driving and vehicle policy.
- NO Driver’s license that has been suspended or revoked in the past 3 years
- Acceptable MVR record per Elevate Oregon’s policy
- Proof of auto insurance for your personal vehicle
- You acknowledge that you will be asked to provide satisfactory proof, as required by law, of your right to work in the United States.
- Teaches daily accredited classes to students in the Parkrose School District and provides mentoring on character qualities and life skills and additional support as needed outside of the classroom to all students on caseload.
- Facilitates activities outside of normal school hours and during the summer.
- Develops relationships with parents and school personnel in support of the success of the students.
- Provides mentoring, leadership, coaching, support, and resources to students.
- Teaches and manages approximately 25-30 students in school classrooms.
- Develops and teaches lesson plans for classroom curriculum.
- Represents Elevate Oregon in building relationships with teachers, counselors, and advisers at our partner schools.
- Establishes mentoring relationships with all students in the program to produce positive influence in their lives.
- Completes case notes, weekly reports, annual rosters, and other paperwork as assigned.
- Ensures waivers are submitted for all students and verifies the accuracy and completeness of data in the student information database.
- Develops and implements engaging activities for youth 1:1 and in small groups.
- Under the supervision of the Program Manager, supports the development and planning of outings.
- Transports students in a 12-passenger van to and from activities.
- Meets all deadlines as established by Manager.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation and problem-solving.
- Respectfully takes direction from Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations
A valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and automobile liability coverage or access to an insured vehicle.
This position requires occasional travel, usually local day trips.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, percentages, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, project management, graphics, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This position is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands or arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, use stairways to climb to multiple floors within office building, talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly be able to lift 25 pounds and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and can sometimes be loud.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- 15 paid vacation days per year to start
- 10 paid sick days per year
- 10 paid holidays
- 100% employer paid – employee only medical, dental, short term disability, long term disability, AD&D, and life
- Retirement Plan with employer match up to 3%
Elevate Oregon is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
Please send resume & cover letter to: [email protected]
Feel free to visit our website for more information: www.elevateoregon.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com