Website Crook County
Department: Crook County Health Department
Reports To: Clinical Nursing Supervisor
Salary Grade: 122
All applications must be received through this link: https://ht-jobs.net/miso6gb
Under the supervision of the Clinical Nursing Supervisor, the Public Health Nurse II performs a variety of duties in public health nursing programs including family planning, immunization, HIV counseling and testing, STD infection exams, and communicable disease follow-up. The nurse performs tests and health screening of patients, administers medication, and provides counseling and education on health issues.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Perform skilled nursing assessment services and client education in a clinical setting, including but not limited to:
o Family Planning services, options counseling, contraceptive counseling, medical/family assessment
o Immunization services
o HIV Counseling and Testing
o Infection exams as needed
o Communicable disease follow-up as needed
o Basic lab tests and blood draws, point of care testing
o STI Testing/Treatment
• Assess client medical needs by performing limited examinations, reviewing, and discussing medical histories, evaluating existing treatments, administrating treatment based on department protocols or provider orders in EMR, and monitoring results
• Promote health and prevention of disease in clinic and community settings
• Refer clients to appropriate health and social agencies or practitioners
• Maintain required documentation and statistical data; compiles required reports as needed
• Develop and maintain effective, harmonious, and positive work relationships with others
• Maintain regular and predictable work attendance
• Attend health related workshops as arranged and completes required education and certifications
• Describe and demonstrate proper dispensing of pharmaceuticals
• Administer medications in a safe manner using universal precautions and sharps safety according to standing orders and procedures
• Describe procedures accurately for clinic related emergencies
• Complete all forms, consents, records, and other documentation as required by Crook County and Oregon Health Division.
• Competently uses electronic medical record documentation process.
• Understand terms and concepts involved in determining payer source for family planning services with local, state and federal programs or private insurance.
• Demonstrate proper specimen handling, processing, testing, charting and disposal.
• Demonstrate proper use of lab equipment, calibrating and documenting controls, using testing mediums and processes
• Assist in the clinical area performing RN functions as needed during the walk-in clinics as assigned. This may include immunizations
o Assist with Emergency Response as needed
o Training in IS 100, 200, 700, 800
o Basic core functions for emergency response
o May be asked to work late hours and weekend hours
1. Equipment used – Personal computer and related software, telephone, printer, copier, facsimile. Use of computers for word processing, data analysis, and Microsoft Outlook
2. Knowledge of principles and practices of nursing and public health nursing including health maintenance and disease prevention; the effects of physical, social, and emotional factors on health; principles and techniques of teaching, counseling, interviewing, and history taking; resources available through other health and welfare agencies; integration and linkages between community agencies
3. Knowledge of prenatal care and child development
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment and plan, organize, and administer safe and effective public health nursing care; work effectively with individuals and families to assist them in the satisfactory solution of health programs; recognize and respect the impact of cultural, ethnic, and linguistic difference on health care practices; act as a liaison with other agencies to coordinate care of clients; maintain effective working relationships; maintain complete and accurate records and reports; evaluate situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms
6. Ability and skill to communicate effectively
7. Ability and skill in working with the public (upset clients)
8. Ability and skill to contribute to a positive work environment through the Crook County Health Department vision, mission, and guiding principles
9. Knowledge of Public Health rules
10. Knowledge of community resources
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality
12. Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary in a public health emergency and travel when required
13. Ability to learn and explain established policies and procedures using judgment and diplomacy
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
1. Complete quarterly chart reviews for quality assurance
2. Maintain fiscal stewardship with clinic ordering and stocking processes
3. Timely response to organization-wide initiatives and requirements (i.e. policy compliance, workforce surveys, training documentation)
4. Timely submission of reporting requirements for each assigned program area, including Operational Plan outcomes recorded in VMSG database
5. Timely compliance with State and Federal reporting guidelines
6. Utilization of Basecamp project management software to support department-wide initiatives including website and social media communications
This is largely a clinical role, with some sedentary work; however, some filing, lifting and carrying may be required. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, twist, and bend. Ability to perform CPR if needed.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm
There is occasional travel for conferences and regional meetings.
Required Education and Experience
• Degree Required: Bachelor of Science Degree from an approved school of nursing; or Associate Degree in Nursing with a valid Nursing License
• Experience in Public Health or combination of experience and training
Preferred Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
Additional Eligibility Requirements
• Must hold a valid Oregon driver’s license and valid American Heart Association CPR card.
• Prior to or on date of hire:
o Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
o Able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test (not required for all positions).
o Final candidates will be required to provide official proof of college degree and certified transcripts (not required for all positions).
Safety Sensitive Requirements
This position is considered to be a safety sensitive position subject to drug screen(s) and adherence to all vaccine/immunity requirements for the healthcare setting.
• This position is ‘at-will’, and either Crook County or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.
• Crook County is an equal opportunity employer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit crook-county.hiringthing.com.