Seasonal Public Utility Worker 1
Website City of Gresham
We are accepting applications until all positions are filled.
The City of Gresham has several job opportunities for Seasonal Public Utility Workers (PUW I) in our various Public Works Divisions at the Gresham Operations Center. The Stormwater, Wastewater, Water and Transportation Divisions are seeking qualified, reliable and hard-working individuals to maintain the City’s stormwater and wastewater infrastructures, drinking water resources and roadways. If you enjoy being physically active, working outside, working in a team environment and want to help make your community clean, safe, and welcoming for all, join us!
We are also hiring for our Parks Division! Be sure to look for the separate job posting and apply for those positions as well!
Depending on assignment, work will commence in April and conclude in October 2024. The duration of each assignment is six (6) months. These are seasonal positions and not eligible for benefits, other than Oregon Sick Leave. Work schedules are established by division and will be either 5 days/8 hours per day or 4 days/10 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
Learn more by watching these short videos:
Come join the City’s seasonal work crew: https://youtu.be/idxH9safEOs
How I launched my career in Public Works: https://youtu.be/tk7uVftxsrI
As a Public Utility Worker, you will be responsible for performing regular and recurring installation, maintenance, repair and testing activities on the City’s sewer, storm water, streets, water systems, and related facilities. You will need to operate a variety of tools and equipment such as: shovels, picks, tapping machine, power hacksaws, drills, welders, jackhammers, compressors, portable concrete saws, hand and riding mowers, powered edgers, back-pack blowers, weed-eaters, powered pole-saws, chainsaws, skill saws, pressure washers, and brush chippers.
We want people who are willing to learn, work hard, show up on time each day with a good attitude, and can get along well with others while taking direction from supervisors. We will train people on all tasks to be performed. Seasonal employees support good roadways, clean water delivery, inviting park systems and environmentally sound processing of storm water and sewer waste.
Although selected through competitive recruitment processes, many of our regular status, full-time Public Utility Workers began their careers as seasonal workers. In this role, you will:
– Receive good pay for hard work
– Build a resume and gain trade skills and experiences that can equip you for a career in public works at the City of Gresham or elsewhere
– Have a steady, set work schedule
– Directly benefit community members and visitors
Qualities we are looking for:
We want people who are willing to learn, work hard, show up on time each day with a good attitude, and can get along well with others while taking direction from supervisors. Ideal candidates:
– Like physical labor, working outdoors in varying weather conditions
– Have a strong work ethic and be reliable
– Have integrity and safety minded
– Have a friendly personality to interact with Gresham community
– Can work in a team or independently
– Have construction and or landscaping background
Work is performed both alone and as part of a team; mostly outside in varying weather conditions for long periods of time. There may be exposure to loud noises, sewer systems, hot tar and asphalt, gasses, fumes, paint, chemicals and pesticides, and some risk of physical hazard from equipment. This position involves constant movement and some lifting of heavy objects.
– Must be a high school graduate or have passed the GED test of equivalency.
– Must possess a valid driver’s license.
– Must possess a good driving record (based on our driving matrix as listed below)
– Must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the hire.
– Must possess the physical ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 85 pounds and perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
– Communicate effectively – must understand instruction in English, both orally and in writing.
You will be disqualified from this process if you possess any of the following driving infractions:
– A major traffic offense or accident that results in death or major injury.
– Driving under the influence (DUI) offense within the last 5 years.
– Have more than 3 moving violations within a 3-year period or more than 2 within a one- year period.
– Have more than 2 accidents within a 3-year period.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background, driving record review, job-related physical and drug screen. Candidates are required to have a valid driver license, and may require additional training, licenses, or certificates as indicated in the requirements.
For more details and to apply, visit: https://GreshamOregon.gov/jobs
If you have questions, please contact [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.