Course Materials and Trade Book Buyer
Website Reed College
Come work in our college bookstore! We are looking for our next Course Materials and Trade Book Buyer. This position provides outstanding customer service to the Reed community by developing an overall buying strategy and detailed procedures to assure that course materials and trade books are available at the right time, in appropriate quantities, and at competitive prices. This position is also responsible to maintain a minimum profit-margin and operational efficiency in line with the bookstore’s financial goals.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive and cost-free medical and dental insurance for you, and a 60% discount on medical and dental insurance for your dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a one hour unpaid lunch. The salary for this position is $53,000.
Who You Are
- You have experience buying in a retail environment – trade and textbook buying is preferred.
- You are an exceptional project manager. You always have a plan, and you always meet your deadlines.
- You have demonstrated experience in providing consistently exceptional customer service.
- You have the demonstrated ability and the interest in building effective working relationships with a wide variety of people
- People who know you describe you as collaborative.
- You care about the details.
- You are personally committed to equity and it shows in your work. You yourself contribute an important aspect of diversity to your work team.
- You love to learn about new technologies and are quick to embrace them.
- You are passionate about providing excellent resources and services to an active community of undergraduate scholars, faculty and staff.
What You’ll Do
- Support all faculty course materials adoptions. Communicate with faculty on price, availability, and alternative formats as needed; determine order quantity; maintain and disseminate course book information to students and faculty.
- Order course materials from publishers, wholesalers and online sources; invoice all online and used wholesale purchases; determine optimal textbook pricing based on cost, and online marketplace competition.
- Research and order general and academic trade titles.
- Organize, market and carry out textbook buyback.
- Lead physical inventory of textbooks.
- Manage a multi-source, in-house textbook rental program.
- Fulfill special orders, including library reserve orders; build relationships with departments and faculty.
- Communicate with and assist departments with book sales for Reed-sponsored author events.
- Hire, train, and supervise student workers.
- Advise Director on long-term, strategic planning for text and trade book departments; investigate and implement new technology systems and processes to improve book department operations; develop new strategies and programs to retain textbook market share.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com.