Accounting and Office Manager
Website Portland Farmers Market
The Accounting & Office Manager fulfills a key role in PFM’s operations. This position will manage most aspects of PFM’s accounting and bookkeeping, with support from the Executive Director and Finance Committee, including managing market currencies in collaboration with an Accounting & Office Assistant and Market Managers. In addition, this position is responsible for managing office systems and business accounts.
This position requires working Monday through Friday from the PFM office an average of 40 hours per week. During the winter months, the person in this position may have the option to temporarily go down to 0.8 FTE (averaging 32 hrs/wk) if interested. Because summer is PFM’s busiest time of year, limited vacation time is granted from June through September.
PFM requires COVID-19 vaccination for all staff, except those with a medical or religious exemption.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare market totes and reconcile market business activity, including cash receipts for token sales, merchandise sales, and market vendor fee billing.
- Ensure clear and consistent vendor billing, track market vendors’ weekly payments, and communicate with vendors about payment policies, late payments, and collections.
- Manage PFM’s token currency program and other market and community partner currencies in coordination with Community Engagement Manager and Executive Director.
- Supervise Accounting & Office Assistant: Provide training, guidance and ongoing support, and conduct regular check-in meetings and annual performance reviews.
- Coordinate and supervise weekly currency counting volunteers.
- Other market accounting-related duties as assigned.
General Bookkeeping & Accounting
- Manage PFM accounting systems, including A/R, billing, cash receipts, bank deposits, A/P, weekly check runs, ACH transactions, bank reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Adhere to accounting procedures, internal controls and financial standards set forth by the finance committee and board of directors
- Communicate with co-workers, office volunteers, vendors and others as needed to train and clarify our financial controls and procedures.
- Provide backup for payroll processing and reporting as needed.
- Provide financial information and reports upon request to Executive Director (ED).
- Work with ED and Accounting firm (if applicable) to ensure monthly financial reports are thorough and timely.
- Attend monthly Finance Committee meetings.
- Assist in the annual budget development process.
- Other accounting-related duties as assigned.
Office & Business Management
- Coordinate general office administration and IT management
- Research, evaluate and recommend various contractors and services (some in coordination with Executive Director), such as IT, office systems, banking, and insurance products.
- Support the Executive Director with various reporting and tracking, such as grants, insurance renewals and other business filings.
- Develop, improve and communicate office and financial systems and protocols to co-workers, office volunteers, vendors and others as needed.
- Occasionally answer phones and professionally communicate with PFM shoppers, vendors and others.
- Manage shared office cleaning and organizing.
- Maintain and order office supplies and conduct light office equipment maintenance
- Other office management-related duties as assigned.
- Participate in regular all-staff meetings and check-in meetings with the supervisor.
- Attend organization-wide planning processes and training.
- Apply PFM’s diversity, equity & inclusion lens to accounting and business practices.
- Develop and implement improvements as needed, in coordination with the Finance Committee and/or Executive Director
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely than others to apply for a position unless they feel they meet every qualification as described. We are committed to finding the best overall candidate and understand that candidates may not immediately identify with every qualification listed. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- At least five years of professional experience in accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks & Microsoft Excel (or similar accounting/spreadsheet programs).
- Experience in office management and administration, including comfort with managing IT systems and IT service contractors.
- Familiarity and experience with generally accepted accounting principles and best practices.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills. Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Excellent attention to detail and an eye for efficient systems and processes.
- Team-oriented, including good interpersonal communication and collaborative problem-solving skills.
- Adaptability in navigating evolving circumstances and shifting variables.
- Ability to learn quickly and to seek guidance and/or additional information when needed.
- Experience managing multiple complex projects and timelines, including task delegation and/or coordination with others.
- Experience developing systems or process improvements related to bookkeeping or accounting.
- Willing to agree to a criminal background check.
- Appreciation for the mission, values and work of PFM, including our equity philosophy.
- Five or more years of experience as a full-cycle accountant or bookkeeper.
- Degree in accounting, finance or equivalent experience.
- Experience with inventory accounting and reconciling multiple currencies.
- A commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI), and experience advancing DEI and anti-racism in personal or professional contexts.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers.
- Budget development and financial management experience.
- Please send a cover letter and resume in a single pdf file to [email protected]
- Please include ‘AOM application’ (for Accounting & Office Manager) and your first initial and last name in the subject line (Example subject line: AOM application – J. Doe).
- The application deadline is Monday, November 28th, 2022.
We Welcome Diversity
Portland Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified individuals in accordance with the law without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, political opinion, sex, national origin, familial status, mental and physical disability, gender identity, source of income, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law in all personnel actions including recruitment, evaluation, selection, promotion, compensation, training, and termination. We will provide reasonable accommodation unless it creates an undue hardship on the operation of our organization. Any applicant needing reasonable accommodation should notify us as soon as
We believe that when our staff represents a diversity of perspectives and life experiences, we
can be most responsive to the needs of our vendors and shoppers, and better reflect the
communities where our markets call home.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org