Communications and Creative Services Coordinator
Website oregonmetro Oregon Convention Center
As a member of the Equity & Belonging Team at the Oregon Convention Center, the Communications & Creative Services Coordinator plays an integral role in supporting communications and branding activities by creating email newsletters, writing and updating website content, managing OCC’s social media channels, and designing graphics for a variety of applications to ensure the delivery of accurate and timely information for key internal and external audiences to increase employee synergy and organization visibility.
The Communications & Creative Services Coordinator should possess excellent writing/editing skills and demonstrated knowledge of design principles combined with a mastery of design software.
The successful candidate is flexible and comfortable working with individuals at all levels across the organization, including its leadership team and can translate ideas and messages into relatable and compelling communications and visual narratives.
Metro is dedicated to shaping a better future for the greater Portland region. The work the people of Metro do every day benefits the lives of the people who live here, today and tomorrow. We offer a highly competitive compensation and benefits program. Learn more about the benefits Metro offers.
The Oregon Convention Center is the largest convention facility in the Pacific Northwest, attracting out-of-town visitors to national conventions, tradeshows and meetings, and local people to special events. The convention center’s roughly 160 employees host more than 1 million visitors each year.
As part of the Metro family, the Oregon Convention Center helps make greater Portland a great place to call home. Metro brings people together to shape the future of our area and provides parks, venues, services, and tools at a regional scale.
As the Communication and Creative Services Coordinator, you will:
- Draft, review and edit content for use in recurring stakeholder emails, newsletters, website content, social media posts, and more.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and prioritize design and production steps for media projects; consult with internal clients in determining project purpose, scope, and budget.
- Identify appropriate vendors for project production while ensuring consistency with brand guidelines.
- Create and publish social content, monitor engagement, listen and respond to comments and questions efficiently and respectfully, grow community of followers, and report and analyze results.
- Regularly engage and collaborate with departments across the venue to understand their communications support needs, gather relevant content, confirm facts and data, and help with project details and timelines.
- Provide culturally responsive, professional communications services to venue departments, programs and projects; ensure website and social media communications convey positive branding and highlight equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Organize and maintain asset resources and image library for organization.
- Develop and manage lists for sending email campaigns in MailChimp.
- Complete assigned tasks in a project management system by scheduled due dates.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
Attributes for success:
- The ideal candidate will have experience in communications and design with proven skills in effective and thoughtful storytelling through written content, the management of organizational brand and an impressive portfolio of design work.
- These attributes include:
- Knowledge of and experience in the principles, methods, and practices applied in the design and implementation of strategic communications with a focus on internal communications.
- Ability to write and edit culturally responsive and accessible key messages and communications for diverse audiences, including leadership and staff with varying backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to demonstrate a passion for employee engagement, relationship building, and collaboration with all levels of staff and leadership across the organization and fostering a sense of belonging.
- Working knowledge of professional print production processes.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently, exercising sound judgment with minimal supervision while effectively collaborating with peers and supervisor.
- Experience managing social media for a business or organization.
Diversity and inclusion: At Metro, we’re committed to hiring a workforce representative of the communities we serve, recognizing that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We invest in employees by supporting equitable and inclusive hiring practices, employee policies and training programs.
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific in your application materials on how your background is relevant.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design or related field; AND
four years of professional experience in those fields; OR
We will consider any combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
Metro is committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, Metro has implemented a vaccine requirement policy for employees, paid and unpaid interns and volunteers.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is considered a minimum qualification requirement for Metro job applicants. This proof will be requested during the hiring process.
If you require an accommodation under this policy for a medical condition or disability, or sincerely held religious belief, please email [email protected]
If this statement is true for you, then you may be ineligible to apply:
If I was terminated for cause during any of my employment with Metro, or resigned in lieu of termination, I understand I may be ineligible for rehire for a minimum of 3 years.
Like to have qualifications:
You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify. However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Your transferable skills are any skills you have gained through education, work experience, including the military, or life experience that are relevant for this position.
COMPENSATION AND REPRESENTATION
Based on the Oregon Pay Equity Act requirements, Metro’s internal equity review process, and the candidates’ qualifications, the appointment will typically be made between $66,352.00 to $73,132.80 per year. The full-salary range for this position is $66,352.00 to $88,982.40 annually.
This position is not eligible for overtime and is represented by AFSCME 3580. It is classified as a Senior Visual Communication Designer (Download PDF reader). Classification descriptions are typically written broadly and do not include the specific duties and responsibilities of the positions.
SCREENING AND EVALUATION
The application packet: The application packet consists of the following documents. Please ensure that you upload these documents in your online application. Make sure your application is complete, missing any part of these items could result in an incomplete application and will not be moved forward in the recruitment.
Link to online portfolio of at least three completed graphic design projects (published or unpublished)
The selection process: We expect to evaluate candidates for this recruitment as follows. The selection process is subject to change.
- Initial review of minimum qualifications
- In-depth evaluation of application materials to identify the most qualified candidates
- Consideration of top candidates/interviews
- Testing/assessments (if applicable)
- Reference check
- Background, driving records check for finalist candidate (if applicable)
Recruiter: Lamarkus Gilliard
Email: [email protected]