Tool & Die Maker
Website Leatherman Leatherman Tool Group Inc.
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. is seeking a few Tool & Die Makers to support our world headquarters located in Portland, Oregon (some relocation assistance available). Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
Perform fabrication, repair, maintenance and calibration of machine shop tools, dies, jigs, molds, gages and fixtures. Compute dimensions and analyzes blueprints, sketches, models and engineering or shop specifications. Contribute technical expertise throughout die development process. May recommend revisions in design and/or substitutions in material. Perform routine maintenance and repair of dies utilized in production including progressive, forming, coining and fine blank dies. Handle large dies using die carts, cranes and other equipment.
Tool & Die Duties
- Complete die assembly, timing adjustments, fitting and finishing (polishing and grinding). Works with die designer on suggested print modifications.
- Conduct first die tryouts. Troubleshoots die issues from assembly of the die through pilot run.
Provide technical input in die design reviews.
- Collaborate with die maintenance, machinists and schedulers to develop new tools and dies according to scheduled due dates.
- Operate and set-up machine tool equipment (grinding, polishing, fitting and timing) to extremely close and complex tolerances to support repair processes.
- Calculate proper timing of dies.
- Provide guidance to die maintenance employees which includes prioritization of die repairs and mentorship on best practices.
- Perform die crash investigations.
- Participate in the development and documentation of work instructions for Tool & Die Shop and/or manufacturing processes.
- Perform die maintenance when not assembling dies or trouble shooting issues.
- Provide technical input in die design reviews.
- Provide technical insight to engineering for operational development and improvement purposes.
- Assist in creating New Product Development samples. Developing proof of concepts and prototype dies.
Die Maintenance Duties
- Perform routine inspection and maintenance on production stamping dies.
- Calculate timing and adjustments of components for proper die function using various technologies including shims, grinding, and machining.
- Sharpen components of production stamping dies utilizing surface grinders.
- Set-up and/or operate various machine tool equipment to extremely close and complex tolerances to support repair processes.
- Assist Leadership, Die Technician and Engineers with troubleshooting and continuous improvement efforts.
- Assist Die Technicians with production support efforts.
- May implement changes to dies using information from senior Die Shop team members and
- Engineers in the form of verbal direction, sketches, models, and engineering or shop specifications
- Prepare recommendations to modify processes to improve productivity and quality.
- Operate both conventional and fineblank presses to assist die troubleshooting and repair.
- Conduct tests and inspections of components and/or finished tools to evaluate quality or performance using attribute and variable gaging. Uses micrometers, calipers, and comparators.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Machine Tool Technology Associates’ Degree, or completion of Tool and Die Apprenticeship program or equivalent experience required.
- Five or more years’ experience building dies preferred in a Lean manufacturing environment which has provided experience using hand tools and reading blue prints.
- Working knowledge of conventional and fine blank presses required.
- Working knowledge of feed systems and a variety of sensors required.
- Ability to utilize advanced shop math and all types of precision measuring instruments.
- Excellent skills in interpersonal relationships, communication and teamwork.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
- Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative. Prioritize and follow through on assignments and projects.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.