Foundation Relations and Grants Manager, Portland, OR
Foundation Relations & Grants Manager
Who We Are:
JoyRx, the mission delivery of Children’s Cancer Association is the only organization of its kind.
Established in 1995, has the simple goal of delivering Joy to seriously ill children and teens when they need more than medicine. We combine energy, commitment, and vision to transform the standard of care for seriously ill children every day with Joy. JoyRx has pioneered innovative, award-winning pediatric programs of music, friendship, and nature.
JoyRx is passionate about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and believes that a diverse staff of highly skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the organization. We strive to create a work environment the reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work, fully as they identify.
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Who You Are:
You are an experienced grant writer with a background in private, family, community, and corporate foundations and giving programs. You are a fundraiser at heart with an eye for details and strong project management skills. You enjoy working collaboratively across teams to gather necessary information to build compelling cases to fund projects. You are curious, looking for new and innovative sources of funding to JoyRx to help support strategic growth initiatives.
The Foundation Relations & Grants Manager reports to the GM/Regional Executive Director, PNW.
Foundation and Grant Relations:
- Actively seek, identify and recognize external opportunities in private and corporate grants in the Pacific Northwest or other markets, with focus on funders with potential for multi-year, six-figure opportunities
- Develop strong relationships with a network of private and corporate foundations, including current and potential partners, with special focus on key regions, including the Pacific Northwest, Texas, and the Northeast
- Maintain strong understanding of JoyRx’s programs, with focus on growth and expansion strategy, including data tracking, measurable outcomes, impact, and budgets
- Staying current on organizational narrative and brand guidelines; partnering with Brand for external deliverables
- Track and steward all grant awards, including acknowledgement
- Support high-level outreach to key individual and institutional partners
Proposal Design and Development:
- Lead and collaborate with leadership, finance, and program staff to identify funding needs and match with prospective grant opportunities
- Manage project focus and workload of contract Grant Writer(s), including project delegation, copy editing and support/training
- In collaboration with program and finance teams, lead and coordinate the design and development of competitive proposals for national foundations, corporations, and for potential future government funding.
- Conduct research, write, and submit grant proposals for JoyRx’s operations, growth and expansion activities and special projects.
- Grant Administration:
- Administer grants, timelines, staff communication and documentation
- In collaboration with program team, track service impact, data quality, and evaluation
- Ensure proper reporting and stewardship of grants and funders
- Maintain and update database records, create and provide multiple reports in Raisers Edge
- Assist the Development Team and work collaboratively to meet funding goals and objectives
- Coordinate and implement the grant and foundations dashboard
- Work with Senior Vice President of Revenue Development to determine annual budget and track monthly against goals
- Collect and analyze information on program achievements in the form of photos and short videos efforts, and draw upon that information to draft, edit, format, and disseminate a wide range of internal and external information to cultivate and steward relationships
- Produce other communication documents on an ad hoc basis as necessary and requested by the SVP
Qualifications and Skills:
- Motivated by JoyRx’s mission with a drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Comfort with ambiguity and competing priorities
- Ability to identify funding projects and match them with potential funders
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to build information sharing and consensus
- Proficient in the use and creation of Excel spreadsheets, including formulas and tables
- Outstanding planning, organizational, and analytical skills
- Sound judgment in problem-solving and decision-making techniques
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- 5+ years of experience non-profit grant writing and grant development
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Relationship Building – Establish and maintain productive relationships with children, families, partners, and staff. Initiate contacts readily.
- Planning & Organizing – Prioritize multiple tasks and maximize use of available time to ensure work is accomplished efficiently and accurately.
Written Communication – Composes informative and convincing documents. Uses the written language to convey substance and intent with accuracy. Demonstrated experience in grant writing.
Energy – Exhibit stamina and endurance and maintain a fast pace over time.
At JoyRx we are committed to a work environment where each person feels a sense of belonging. Each
person is recognized, appreciated and valued.
This position is based in either the JoyRx Portland, OR or Austin, Tx offices. JoyRx offers a hybrid office environment, with both onsite (professional open office environment) days and the ability to work remotely up to 2 days/week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Due to the nature of JoyRx’s work with immunocompromised children, it is our responsibility to take every precaution possible to protect the health and safety of the children and families we serve. All JoyRx employees, regardless of work location, are required to receive COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC, including any future boosters, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
Frequently operates a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. This position requires the ability to perform basic math and speak, hear, write, and read English; occasionally and/or move up to 20 pounds.
This position requires occasional travel in the Portland Metro or Austin Metro areas (depending on where the role is based); Limited travel to other key regions.
JoyRx is a growth organization that looks for team members to grow with it. JoyRx offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment and an inclusive culture.
Competitive benefit package and salary starting at $65,000/year depending on experience.
Generous benefits, including:
- Heavily subsidized medical, vision, dental and alternative care benefits;
- Generous PTO package, paid wellness days & nine (plus two floating) paid holidays;
- Voluntary short- and long-term disability;
- Flexible spending plan;
- 401(k) with 3.5% JoyRx match;
- Paid four-week sabbatical to pursue creative talents after eight years of service;
- Professional development annual benefit
- Subsidized on-site parking or public transportation reimbursement
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full time (40 hours/week) exempt position. Some flexibility in hours is allowed; days and hours
of onsite work are generally Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am – 5:30 pm and Friday 8:00 am–Noon. This position requires at times evening hours and occasional weekend work.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position. Job duties may change at any time with or without notice.
Complete the application through our application portal and answer the following two questions in your cover letter:
1. Tell us how your previous work history has prepared you for this role,
2. Tell us if the compensation and benefits information listed above meet your needs,
To learn more about JoyRx, the mission delivery of Children’s Cancer Association: joyrx.org
Watch Founder and Chief Joy Officer, Regina Ellis’ TEDx Talk on the Joy Effect
To apply for this job email your details to recruiting@Joyrx.org