Mississippi Business District Administrator
Website Historic Mississippi Business Association
Historic Mississippi Business Association
The Historic Mississippi Business Association (HMBA) is the business district for Mississippi Avenue and the surrounding neighborhood in North Portland – a bustling, energetic community of restaurants, retail, and services. We are an association of business owners and nonprofit organizations that work together to promote, develop, and preserve our historically Black community as a vibrant place to work, shop, and live.
We are seeking qualified candidates to work with us as a contracted District Administrator, to help us grow our membership and better serve our members. This position is a key visual position to all the businesses on the Avenue and the HMBA Board of Directors. If you’re organized, energetic, innovative, self-motivated, and goal oriented, we want to hear from you!
- Create and implement a clear, consistent member communications plan
- Coordinate and execute a twice-annual HMBA membership campaign
- Organize quarterly membership meetings
- Create and maintain a member database
- Ensure delivery of member benefits
Board of Directors
- Meet weekly with a member of the HMBA Board to plan and coordinate overall workflow
- Organize the HMBA Board of directors, working with the Board to set meeting agendas and ensure proper record keeping, including meeting minutes, tax filings, and budgets
- Coordinate with event producers for the Mississippi Street Fair, which is hosted by the HMBA
- Coordinate additional seasonal events, including an Ice Cream Social, Trick-or-Treating, Small Business Saturday, and a winter holiday promotional event.
- Innovate and deliver low-cost marketing efforts for the district, including event listings on public calendars
- Create regular, consistent content and post to social media (Instagram, Facebook)
- Perform ongoing in-person networking with district business owners to promote HMBA membership
- Update the HMBA website as needed
- Write proposals for funding, in coordination with the HMBA Board President
- 2+ years of experience in event planning, production, retail management, communications, or in an office support role, or other life experience that would give you the skills you need to be successful in this role.
- Clear, confident writing and communication skills.
- Your own computer, internet, and any additional supplies.
- Preference for candidates with some graphic design experience.
- Preference for candidates who are familiar with the Historic Mississippi neighborhood.
This is a contract position with funding for 30 hours per week at $28/hour, from October 2023 – July 2024, with potential for extension pending continued funding from Venture Portland and HMBA members. Schedule and working location are flexible.
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line DISTRICT ADMIN APPLICATION by October 13, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org