On New Year’s Day, you can enjoy a FREE “First Day Hike” at several selected parks around the Portland-metro area, including the Gorge, the coast, around the city & more.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff
Related Portland Events & Info:
- New Years: Our Calendar of New Year’s Parties, Events, & Giveaways
- Rides: FREE Rides Portland New Years Eve 2015 / New Years Day 2016 TriMet Service Schedule & Info
- Seattle: Our Calendar of New Year’s Parties, Events, Fireworks, & Ticket Giveaways
First Day Hikes
January 1, 2016
More info: oregonstateparks.org
For the fifth year in a row, free guided First Day Hikes are set for 28 state parks on New Year’s Day. Park rangers or volunteers will lead most of the hikes. The usual $5 day-use parking fee is waived for all visitors at participating parks Jan. 1 only.
If you go
Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring water as well as a camera or binoculars for wildlife viewing.
This year, OPRD is asking participants to share photos of their First Day Hike via social media by using the hashtag #ORfirstdayhikes Twitter and Instagram or tagging “Oregon State Parks” on Facebook. Images can also be e-mailed to [email protected].
Hike details and directions to the park are available on the Oregon State Parks website—go to bit.ly/OPRDcalendar online and search for “First Day Hikes” under Event Category. Click on the park name to visit the park page and find driving directions.
- L.L. “Stub” Stewart Memorial State Park, 9 a.m. at the Hilltop Day-use Area.
- Milo McIver State Park, 10 a.m. at the Riverbend lower boat launch parking lot.
- Tryon Creek State Natural Area, 9 a.m. at the Nature Center.
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 10 a.m. at the Tooth Rock Trailhead
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 1 p.m. at the Hatfield East Trailhead
- Champoeg State Heritage Area, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Meet at the Visitor Center.
- Elijah Bristow State Park, noon horse ride at the equestrian parking area. Bring your own horse.
- Fort Yamhill State Heritage Area, 10 a.m. at the trailhead kiosk.
- Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area, 10 a.m. at the North Luckiamute Trailhead if conditions allow. Alternate meeting site at the South Luckiamute Trailhead. North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
- North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
- Silver Falls State Park. 10 a.m. at the South Falls Lodge porch.
- Willamette Mission State Park, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and noon. Meet at the Wheatland Ferry bicycle trailhead parking lot.
- OC&E Woods Line State Trail, 10 a.m. at the Switchbacks Trailhead
- TouVelle State Recreation Site, 11 a.m. at the parking lot next to Area F.
- Valley of the Rogue State Park, 11 a.m. at the park program area.
- Beverly Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use area
- Bullards Beach State Park, 10 a.m. near the entrance to B Loop.
- Cape Lookout State Park, Noon in the Cape Lookout Trail parking lot.
- Fort Stevens State Park, 10 a.m. in the North Coffenbury Lake parking lot.
- Harris Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the extra vehicle parking lot.
- Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at the group campground parking lot off Canary Road.
- Taft Beach in Lincoln City, 10 a.m. at the #49 Beach Access, 825, SW 51st Street
- Nehalem Bay State Park, 10 a.m. in the parking lot behind the registration booth.
- South Beach State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Jetty Trailhead.
- William M. Tugman State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use parking lot by the boat ramp.
- Cottonwood Canyon State Park, 11 a.m. at the Lone Tree Campground shade shelter
- Hat Rock State Park, 11 a.m. at the boat launch.
- Smith Rock State Park, 10 a.m. at the Welcome Center.
Our new Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is now available for iPhones, Android phones and iPads!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town.
Download the App for iPhone here
Download the App for Android here