- This event has passed.
Portland 2019 Vaux’s Swifts Watch @ Chapman School | Pictures & Video
What: Watch Vaux’s Swifts prepare to roost for the night
When: One hour before sunset, each night in September
Where: Chapman Elementary School in northwest Portland
We expect Vaux’s Swifts to use the Chapman chimney as an evening roost during their fall migration. Join us on the school lawn and in neighboring Wallace Park to observe the birds gathering overhead. On most evenings, Audubon volunteers will be on hand to share information about Vaux’s Swifts.
Every year in late August, one of Portland’s most spectacular natural events begins: Thousands of Vaux’s Swifts gather in the city as they prepare to migrate to Central America and Venezuela.
Migrating swifts often use chimneys as roosts (places to sleep), and they are likely to return to the same roost year after year. One swift population has been returning to the Chapman chimney since the 1980s, and it is one of the largest known roosting sites of migrating Vaux’s Swifts. More history here: audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/vauxsswift
Free Swift Watch parking is available at Montgomery Park and SELCO Community Credit Union. Do not expect to find on-street parking near the event – please park at Montgomery and SELCO if at all possible.
- Montgomery Park is located six blocks from Chapman at 2701 NW Vaughn St. Note: from the Chapman area, NW Vaughn cannot be accessed from NW 27th, 28th or 29th Ave.
- SELCO Community Credit Union is located at NW 25th and Thurman. Note: The SELCO lot will be available each night starting at 5:30 p.m.
We Need Your Help!
Please be a good neighbor to Chapman-area residents during Swift Watch:
1) Parking is limited, so use other transit options when possible. 2) During the event, leash and pick up after dogs, and keep an eye on your kids. 3) After the event, pick up your trash and do not loiter on school grounds. 4) It is illegal to consume alcoholic beverages or smoke on public school grounds.
Chapman Swifts Pictures
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by Nora Zimmerly
Photo by K. Kendall
Description: On The Wing is a documentary film that tells the story of Portland’s Chapman Swifts. This trailer gives you a peek at the phenomenon and its cult following. More information at swiftsmovie.com
More Upcoming Portland Events
From Our Sponsors
Every Tuesday is our famous Half Price Craft Beer Tuesdays! Come out and try a few pints of great craft beer from many of our 16 constantly rotating taps for half price! All day every Tuesday. (more…)
Portland Tuesday Food & Drink Specials including daily specials, happy hours, & late night specials.
Note: Menus are subject to change. Please contact venue in order to verify. We’re actively tracking events that are postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19. We’re updating our calendars as news comes in, but it’s a good idea to confirm with individual events’ websites & social media for further details
(CLOSED) Bare Bones Bar & Cafe | (2900 SE Belmont St) | Happy Hour 4-7 PM
- Drinks: $3 Well Drinks | $2 Pabst & Ranier Tall Boys | $2 Session, Mickey’s, Miller LT | $1 Off All Other Beers
- Food: Taco Tuesdays, Grilled Cheese, Chili Dogs, Hummus Plate, Tuna Salad, & more (Happy Hour Menu)
(CLOSED) Goodfoot Lounge | (2845 SE Stark St.) | Happy Hour 5-8PM
- Drinks: $2 Pabst Blue Ribbon | $1 Off Infused Cocktails | (Drink Menu)
- Food: Cheese Burger, Cheese Dog, Kimchi Plate, Koritos & Salsa (Food Menu)
- Drinks: $5 Tinto & Txakoli | 10% Off All Wine Bottles
- Food: 1 free tapas with purchase of adult beverage
- Drinks: $1 Off Draft (Happy Hour Menu)
- Food: $3 Soft Pretzel / Fries with Cheese / All Salads, $5 Chicken Strips; Half off Pizza Slices (late) (Full Menu)
(CLOSED) The EastBurn (1800 E Burnside St.) | Happy Hour 3-5PM
- Drinks: Half Price Pints on Tuesdays, Happy hour Drinks Available (Menu)
- Food: $1 Off Salad & Entrees (Menu)
- Late Night: Late Night Food & Drink Menu starts at 10pm (Menu)
(CLOSED) North Bar (5008 SE Division St.) | Happy Hour 3-6PM
- Drinks: $2 Rainier, Slushies, $8 Margarita, Patron Select Barrel Aged Reposado $6
- Food: Crunchy ground beef tacos 3 for $3; Vegan Chilli, Greek Salad, Flatbreads & More (Happy Hour Menu)
(CLOSED) 5&Dime (6535 SE Foster Rd, Portland) | Happy Hour 3-7 p.m.
Need a Newsletter? Letter-O-Matic is here to Help! | Perfect for Freelancers, Small Business Owners & Activists
From Our Sponsors
Letter-O-Matic Newsletter Services
More info: letteromatic.com
Need a newsletter? Letter-O-Matic is here to help!
We provide easy to read, easy to monetize newsletters for only $300 and 30-45 minutes of your time per month.
This service is perfect for busy freelancers, small business owners and activists who know the value of a monthly newsletter, but don’t have enough time to put one out on a monthly basis. (more…)
From Our Sponsors
Quarterworld Private Game Rental!
Bored at home? Miss playing your favorite games? We are now offering private rentals!
Pinball Machines raging from $150-$350 / Month
Classic Arcade Games ranging from $100-$300 / Month
Big Buck World $200 / Month
Rates vary by title while supplies last.
1 Month minimum rental includes installation and delivery.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for all inquiries
FREE Promotion for Small Businesses
PDX Pipeline is offering free promotion for small businesses offering their services during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can simply fill out the form on this page to participate! We will be promoting these services through our social media channels (180,000 fans on Facebook, 80,000 fans on Twitter and 23,000 fans on Instagram) and on our website, depending on the demand and resources we have at hand.
Feel free to share with your fellow small businesses! Anyone can visit pdxpipeline.com/local to list a service.
Questions? Email email@example.com to speak to our team. We will get back to you as soon as possible! Hang in there everyone.
Stormbreaker Brewing Beer Delivery
More info: www.stormbreakerbrewing.com/beerhomedelivery
Stuck at home and craving some suds! We got you covered! Order online or call your order in. We’ll show up with our trained self distancing delivery! We also have food available for pickup. Order on our website or call!
Thank you for your support. We appreciate you! With Love, Your StormBreaker Fam