- This event has passed.
Oregon Zoo Pub Talk: Polar Bears and Penguins | Experts Discuss Saving Animals Threatened by Climate Change
From Our Sponsors
Have drinks with your friends while learning about the similar challenges facing both penguins and polar bears
Presented by Pro Photo Supply, Oregon Zoo Pub Talks connect you with conservation experts. Each month conservation, animal care or wildlife science professionals share their knowledge and experience saving animals across the planet, from the forests of Borneo to the skies of the Pacific Northwest.
At this event, Oregon Zoo director Dr. Don Moore and Amy Cutting, who oversees the zoo’s marine life area, will discuss the similar challenges affecting polar bears and penguins.
A recent study published in Marine Mammal Science—based on data collected at the Oregon Zoo—measures the “energetic costs of aquatic locomotion in a subadult polar bear,” and the findings could have serious implications for wild bears as climate change transforms their habitat. Scientists at the zoo discovered that the young polar bear Nora burned more calories while swimming than other marine and semi-aquatic mammals.
While polar bears and penguins live in different hemispheres, both species face difficult futures because of human activity. Polar bears and their sea ice habitats in the Arctic are threatened by climate change, forcing them into new regions where they have to work harder for food. Penguins, along with their habitats on Antarctica and its neighboring continents, are also vulnerable due to climate change, oil spills, pesticides, construction and destruction of habitat; they’re also preyed upon and competing with other species for food.
Learn what the Oregon Zoo is doing to enhance our knowledge and protect these important species. Find out what actions humans can take to protect penguins and polar bears while having drinks and snacks with your friends.
Doors open at 6 p.m. and the talk begins at 7 p.m., followed by a Q&A.
GET TICKETS Tickets are $15.
The event is located at the Oregon Zoo Cascade Grill. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
Oregon Zoo Pub Talks are fun, educational events that help support the zoo’s mission of creating a better future for wildlife through its animal welfare, education and conservation programs. Pub Talks are made possible by the Oregon Zoo Foundation‘s Education Endowment, which is generously funded by Oregon Zoo members and donors. Click here to learn how you can support the zoo. Find out about the other talks by visiting oregonzoo.org/talks.
The Oregon Zoo encourages all guests to take public transport to the zoo, which is located five minutes from downtown Portland, and is accessible by MAX Light Rail line. Visit Explore Washington Park for transportation and parking information.
More Upcoming Portland Events
Discover Portland’s Hidden Mysteries w/ Urban Adventure Quest’s Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure! | Give the Gift of Adventure! + Discount / Promo Code
From Our Sponsors
Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Hours of Operation – Play anytime, Sunrise to Sunset
$39.20 for a team of 2-5 people w/ code PDXPIPELINE at urbanadventurequest.com
Looking for a way to turn Portland into a giant game board? Give the gift of adventure with a city-wide scavenger hunt!
Urban Adventure Quest has created an interactive scavenger hunt that combines the fun of the Amazing Race with a three-hour sightseeing tour of Portland. Guided from any smart phone, groups make their way among well-known and overlooked gems of the city, solving clues and completing challenges while learning local history. (more…)
Portland Pedalpalooza Event Schedule: Sidewalk Stamp Ride, Sunset Moonrise Ride, Biking Betties Sunset Rocky Butte Picnic Ride, Effigy Transformation, Cookie Cruise, Full Strawberry Moon Naked Ride
Portland’s gigantic annual bike festival Pedalpalooza runs June 1-30. There are currently more than 200 scheduled events including several naked bike rides, parades, themed rides, various music rides, & much more! We have listed most of the rides below by date.
2019 Portland Pedalpalooza Events
- June 17: Sidewalk Stamp Ride, Sunset Moonrise Ride, Biking Betties Sunset Rocky Butte Picnic Ride, Effigy Transformation, Cookie Cruise, Full Strawberry Moon Naked Ride
- June 18: ¿Por Qué No? Ride, SW Unfinished Bikeways, Climate Cycles and Cremsicles, Foster Night Ride, Bike in Movie, Divine Dine Alley Cat, Cat Ride
- June 19: Ride the Green Loop, Bicycling Breweries, Green New Wheel!, Fender Gender Bender, Black Liberation Ride, The Games we Play, West Side Explorer, P-town E-Scoot Throwdown
- June 20: NW PDX Kids Ride, NW in Motion Scavenger Ride, Heritage Tree Ride, Cully Pub Crawl, Skate Critical Mass, Solstice Ride
- June 21: Traffic Jams, Run-DMC vs Beastie Boys, Prawn Ride, Dropout Prom
- June 22: Muppet Movie Singalong Bike Ride, Cul-de-sacs and Circles, Portland Maker Ride, Back to the Future
- June 23: Seersucker Social and Picnic, Grilled by Bike, Cargo Bike Roll Call, Mural Ride, Dock O’Clock Ride, Vending Machine Scavenger Hunt Art Ride, St. Johns Dirty Ride, Grateful Gardens Ride, Bike Play!
- June 24: 70s Easy Listening Leisure Cruise, Canadian Pride Roller Hockey, Transport your Activism, All Gender St. John’s Bridge Ride
- June 25: Gears and Grills, SW Corridor My Foot, Twosday Night Adventure
- June 26: Yoga Jam Ride, The Big Lebowski Ride, B1G Ten Ride, As If! Clueless Ride!
- June 27: Salmonberry Trail 101: MAX to Manning, Baddies on Bikes, Secret Aardvark Ride, Beyonce Bike Ride, Silent Ride
- June 28: Ding Ding Ride, Galactic Disco, Diablo Ride, Loud N Lit
- June 29: World Naked Bike Ride, Morning Naked, Naked Metric, Terri Sue Webb Naked, Fig Leif Naked Protest, WNBR After Party
- June 30: Sunday Parkways, Casual City Century, Tour de Corndog, 7th Ave Slow Roll, Riding up the Hill: A Kate Bush Tribute, Zoobomb
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise | Daily Departures, 7-Hour Columbia Gorge Jet-Boat Adventure Cruise
From Our Sponsors
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise
More info: bigfootcruise.com
Ride the Explorer jet-boat from Portland to Cascade Locks as we embark into the “Heart of the Columbia Gorge” to search for the elusive creature known as Bigfoot. See the landmarks that make the Northwest famous, while listening to live and recorded narration. Enjoy content created by Animal Planet’s Finding Bigfoot star, Cliff Barackman. (more…)
Space is full of stars. But how did those stars get their names? Pegasus Puppet Theatre brings Roman and Greek myths to life, illuminating the stories behind constellations such as Hydra, Leo and Pegasus!
This production is a non-stop kid-friendly puppet-romp of excitement and fun for everyone. Cheer for heroes and titans alike!
From Our Sponsors
Bare Bones Cafe and Bar is a neighborhood spot on SE Belmont in Portland. Stop by Mondays for All-Day Happy Hour. (more…)