- This event has passed.
First Caturday Portland @ Laurelhurst Park | Free, Outdoor Cat Napping & Socializing, First Saturdays
Friends of Caturday
First Caturday is a day to reclaim the glory of the outdoors for our feline friends!
It is a day for delightful outdoor cat-napping and socializing.
It is where we can freely exchange information, friendship, and joy to help make our cats happy and healthy.
Some cats actually like leash walks, others stroller walks, and still others just to come to the park in their pet carriers to listen to the birds singing.
How to walk your cat and why you should (try) :
Not all cats will want to be walked on a leash, but every cat should be given the opportunity.
“First, let me start by saying not every cat is a candidate for leash training. As with any type of training, there’s a learning curve but if your cat is easily stressed or you think she’ll never be comfortable, then don’t do it. You know your cat. Use that knowledge to make a sound decision that will benefit her and not stress or endanger her. Age is also a factor here. It’s much easier to train a kitten to accept leash-walking.” (Pam Johnson-Bennett, Cat Behavior Expert)
If you plan on introducing your kitty to a leash, train often and slowly. You are literally introducing them to a whole new world, so be patient and let your cat walk you or just enjoy a spot in the sun together.
Do not bring your cat to First Caturday if they are not sufficiently leash trained or comfortable with the outdoors in a stroller/carrier!
“Cats should be trained indoors first.
For the sake of safety, it’s crucial to start training indoors….purchasing a harness and leaving it inside the house for your cat to play with and smell, so he isn’t afraid of it. Next, strap your cat into the harness and make sure it’s properly fitted and that your pet is comfortable. Then let kitty wear the harness around the house. Let him drag the leash and grow accustomed to having something strapped around his body.” (Sherry Woodard, Animal Behavior Consultant)
1. Build their confidence !
2. Walking your furbaby can help strengthen the bond between a cat and his owner, giving the pair something to experience together ⚛.
3. Walking a cat can provide your pet with a more enriched life.
4. When out for a walk — rather than prowling an apartment — a cat will use his brain in different and more thoughtful ways.
It’s completely fine if a cat decides, nope, no park for me please. Totally fine if a cat doesn’t like First Caturday and wants to go straight home. Or it’s completely fine if a cat decides to stay inside a pet-carrier and not come out on the leash.
If you try bringing your cat in one of these safe and supervised ways, you may find that your cat likes fresh air and the change of scenery. This is one more option to enrich your cat’s life. If you have a shy kitty, you can skip the big group, and just try sitting in your backyard with your cat in the carrier. And some kitties just don’t like the outdoors and that’s a-okay! Respect their choice to stay inside.
With or without a cat, you’re welcome at #firstcaturday
More Upcoming Portland Events
From Our Sponsors
Every Tuesday is our famous Half Price Craft Beer Tuesdays! Come out and try a few pints of great craft beer from many of our 16 constantly rotating taps for half price! All day every Tuesday. (more…)
Portland Tuesday Food & Drink Specials including daily specials, happy hours, & late night specials.
Note: Menus are subject to change. Please contact venue in order to verify.
Bare Bones Bar & Cafe | (2900 SE Belmont St) | Happy Hour 4-7 PM
- Drinks: $3 Well Drinks | $2 Pabst & Ranier Tall Boys | $2 Session, Mickey’s, Miller LT | $1 Off All Other Beers
- Food: Taco Tuesdays, Grilled Cheese, Chili Dogs, Hummus Plate, Tuna Salad, & more (Happy Hour Menu)
Goodfoot Lounge | (2845 SE Stark St.) | Happy Hour 5-8PM
- Drinks: $2 Pabst Blue Ribbon | $1 Off Infused Cocktails | (Drink Menu)
- Food: Cheese Burger, Cheese Dog, Kimchi Plate, Koritos & Salsa (Food Menu)
- Drinks: $5 Tinto & Txakoli | 10% Off All Wine Bottles
- Food: 1 free tapas with purchase of adult beverage
- Drinks: $1 Off Draft (Happy Hour Menu)
- Food: $3 Soft Pretzel / Fries with Cheese / All Salads, $5 Chicken Strips; Half off Pizza Slices (late) (Full Menu)
The EastBurn (1800 E Burnside St.) | Happy Hour 3-5PM
- Drinks: Half Price Pints on Tuesdays, Happy hour Drinks Available (Menu)
- Food: $1 Off Salad & Entrees (Menu)
- Late Night: Late Night Food & Drink Menu starts at 10pm (Menu)
North Bar (5008 SE Division St.) | Happy Hour 3-6PM
- Drinks: $2 Rainier, Slushies, $8 Margarita, Patron Select Barrel Aged Reposado $6
- Food: Crunchy ground beef tacos 3 for $3; Vegan Chilli, Greek Salad, Flatbreads & More (Happy Hour Menu)
Discover Portland’s Hidden Mysteries w/ Urban Adventure Quest’s Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure! | Discount / Promo Code
From Our Sponsors
Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Hours of Operation – Play anytime, Sunrise to Sunset
$39.20 for a team of 2-5 people w/ code PDXPIPELINE at urbanadventurequest.com
Looking for a way to turn Portland into a giant game board? Give the gift of adventure with a city-wide scavenger hunt!
Urban Adventure Quest has created an interactive scavenger hunt that combines the fun of the Amazing Race with a three-hour sightseeing tour of Portland. Guided from any smart phone, groups make their way among well-known and overlooked gems of the city, solving clues and completing challenges while learning local history. (more…)
From Our Sponsors
Bruce Carey Restaurants Burger Bonanza
More info: Facebook
As a follow up to Burger Week, all Bruce Carey Restaurant spaces are having our OWN little Burger Bonanza! Pop in ANY DAY for Happy Hour and enjoy a NEW and DELICIOUS $5 burger from our Chef to you!
Each Bruce Carey Restaurant space has created a STUNNING burger for $5, available during Happy Hour (open-6:30) every day (more…)
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise | Daily Departures, 7-Hour Columbia Gorge Jet-Boat Adventure Cruise
From Our Sponsors
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise
Save $25 w/ code BIGFOOT at bigfootcruise.com
Ride the Explorer jet-boat from Portland to Cascade Locks as we embark into the “Heart of the Columbia Gorge” to search for the elusive creature known as Bigfoot. See the landmarks that make the Northwest famous, while listening to live and recorded narration. Enjoy content created by Animal Planet’s Finding Bigfoot star, Cliff Barackman. (more…)