- This event has passed.
2019 Portland Old Time Music Gathering | Square Dance @ Village Ballroom, All Ages
From Our Sponsors
Portland Old Time Music Gathering
More info: bubbaguitar.com/gathering
The city of Portland has certainly seen lots of change over the last two decades. But while the skyline has shifted, rents have risen and e-scooters have invaded, at least one thing has been constant: the Portland Old Time Music Gathering, which has attracted musicians, square dance enthusiasts and other lovers of acoustic roots music to PDX each January since the year 1999.
The 20th annual Portland Old Time Music Gathering is set for Jan. 16-20, 2019, and it will once again serve as a hub for the West Coast old time music scene as well as an entrypoint for locals interested in learning more about this uniquely American genre of music and dance.
Old time music generally centers around traditional Appalachian fiddle tunes that provide the musical drive underpinning square dancing. Old time bands typically include fiddles, banjos, guitars, basses, mandolins and other acoustic instruments. The music, which was a precursor to bluegrass, is well-suited to jamming and tune swapping — and that element is a big part of the Gathering, which started in Portland 20 years ago as a house party and has since grown into an annual festival backed by local nonprofit group Bubbaville.
The Gathering brings together old time aficionados of all ages for jam sessions, workshops, concerts, square dances and family-friendly elements, such as an “instrument petting zoo” in which kids can play around with donated guitars, banjos and other sound objects.
As always, the list of Gathering events includes a range of opportunities sure to excite any fan of traditional American music. Square dances feature some of the most experienced and energetic old time bands in the Pacific Northwest. Workshops offer instruction on individual instruments, as well as vocal technique. Concerts highlight the skill and soul of top players from around the country.
This year, the Gathering’s artist-in-residence will be Nokosee Fields, a talented multi-instrumentalist who was born and raised in Oklahoma. He will be playing in the Friday night concert on the evening of Jan. 18 and teaching a fiddle workshop on Saturday, Jan. 19. Both of those events take place at the Tiffany Center, 1410 SW Morrison St.
For the complete list of 2019 Portland Old Time Gathering events, ticket information, and volunteer opportunities, go to bubbaguitar.com/gathering.
More Upcoming Portland Events
Discover Portland’s Hidden Mysteries w/ Urban Adventure Quest’s Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure! | Give the Gift of Adventure! + Discount / Promo Code
From Our Sponsors
Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Hours of Operation – Play anytime, Sunrise to Sunset
$39.20 for a team of 2-5 people w/ code PDXPIPELINE at urbanadventurequest.com
Looking for a way to turn Portland into a giant game board? Give the gift of adventure with a city-wide scavenger hunt!
Urban Adventure Quest has created an interactive scavenger hunt that combines the fun of the Amazing Race with a three-hour sightseeing tour of Portland. Guided from any smart phone, groups make their way among well-known and overlooked gems of the city, solving clues and completing challenges while learning local history. (more…)
Portland Pedalpalooza Event Schedule: Sidewalk Stamp Ride, Sunset Moonrise Ride, Biking Betties Sunset Rocky Butte Picnic Ride, Effigy Transformation, Cookie Cruise, Full Strawberry Moon Naked Ride
Portland’s gigantic annual bike festival Pedalpalooza runs June 1-30. There are currently more than 200 scheduled events including several naked bike rides, parades, themed rides, various music rides, & much more! We have listed most of the rides below by date.
2019 Portland Pedalpalooza Events
- June 17: Sidewalk Stamp Ride, Sunset Moonrise Ride, Biking Betties Sunset Rocky Butte Picnic Ride, Effigy Transformation, Cookie Cruise, Full Strawberry Moon Naked Ride
- June 18: ¿Por Qué No? Ride, SW Unfinished Bikeways, Climate Cycles and Cremsicles, Foster Night Ride, Bike in Movie, Divine Dine Alley Cat, Cat Ride
- June 19: Ride the Green Loop, Bicycling Breweries, Green New Wheel!, Fender Gender Bender, Black Liberation Ride, The Games we Play, West Side Explorer, P-town E-Scoot Throwdown
- June 20: NW PDX Kids Ride, NW in Motion Scavenger Ride, Heritage Tree Ride, Cully Pub Crawl, Skate Critical Mass, Solstice Ride
- June 21: Traffic Jams, Run-DMC vs Beastie Boys, Prawn Ride, Dropout Prom
- June 22: Muppet Movie Singalong Bike Ride, Cul-de-sacs and Circles, Portland Maker Ride, Back to the Future
- June 23: Seersucker Social and Picnic, Grilled by Bike, Cargo Bike Roll Call, Mural Ride, Dock O’Clock Ride, Vending Machine Scavenger Hunt Art Ride, St. Johns Dirty Ride, Grateful Gardens Ride, Bike Play!
- June 24: 70s Easy Listening Leisure Cruise, Canadian Pride Roller Hockey, Transport your Activism, All Gender St. John’s Bridge Ride
- June 25: Gears and Grills, SW Corridor My Foot, Twosday Night Adventure
- June 26: Yoga Jam Ride, The Big Lebowski Ride, B1G Ten Ride, As If! Clueless Ride!
- June 27: Salmonberry Trail 101: MAX to Manning, Baddies on Bikes, Secret Aardvark Ride, Beyonce Bike Ride, Silent Ride
- June 28: Ding Ding Ride, Galactic Disco, Diablo Ride, Loud N Lit
- June 29: World Naked Bike Ride, Morning Naked, Naked Metric, Terri Sue Webb Naked, Fig Leif Naked Protest, WNBR After Party
- June 30: Sunday Parkways, Casual City Century, Tour de Corndog, 7th Ave Slow Roll, Riding up the Hill: A Kate Bush Tribute, Zoobomb
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise | Daily Departures, 7-Hour Columbia Gorge Jet-Boat Adventure Cruise
From Our Sponsors
Portland Spirit Bigfoot Adventure Cruise
More info: bigfootcruise.com
Ride the Explorer jet-boat from Portland to Cascade Locks as we embark into the “Heart of the Columbia Gorge” to search for the elusive creature known as Bigfoot. See the landmarks that make the Northwest famous, while listening to live and recorded narration. Enjoy content created by Animal Planet’s Finding Bigfoot star, Cliff Barackman. (more…)
Space is full of stars. But how did those stars get their names? Pegasus Puppet Theatre brings Roman and Greek myths to life, illuminating the stories behind constellations such as Hydra, Leo and Pegasus!
This production is a non-stop kid-friendly puppet-romp of excitement and fun for everyone. Cheer for heroes and titans alike!
From Our Sponsors
Bare Bones Cafe and Bar is a neighborhood spot on SE Belmont in Portland. Stop by Mondays for All-Day Happy Hour. (more…)