We are giving away a pair of tickets to Renaissance and Baroque Music with Dark Horse Consort @ Alberta Rose Theatre on October 9. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Monday, October 7.

Renaissance and Baroque music with Dark Horse Consort
October 9, 2019
7:30 pm | $10-$62 | All Ages
More info: cmnw.org

Alberta Rose Theatre
3000 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97211

Be transported back in time with San Francisco’s renowned Dark Horse Consort. Dedicated to unearthing the majestic Renaissance and Baroque music for brass, Dark Horse Consort will perform compositions from 16th and 17th century Germany, England, and Italy on sackbuts (an early form of trombone) and cornetti and recorders (early wind instruments).

Presented by Chamber Music Northwest

, , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Win Tickets ($95): Renaissance and Baroque Music with Dark Horse Consort @ Alberta Rose Theatre | Featuring Early Instruments Such As Sackbuts & Cornetti

1. Bogdan September 18, 2019 at 9:16 pm #

Very unique and interesting. Would love to go!

• Mark Joseph Russell September 20, 2019 at 6:21 am #

I started playing trombone in 1983. We had to use regular trombones in those days, no sackbuts.

2. Adele Amos September 19, 2019 at 9:47 am #

My husband loves classical music and history and we would both love to experience a little glimpse into human expression of the past!

3. AJ September 19, 2019 at 12:17 pm #

You had me at sackbuts.

4. Linda Ryan September 19, 2019 at 5:03 pm #

This is my thing. Early music and baroque … love it!!

5. Susan September 24, 2019 at 1:53 pm #

A rare opportunity.

6. Elfina Alongi September 24, 2019 at 10:33 pm #

I have a fondness for baroque music and would appreciate hearing this concert very much

7. William Dollarhide September 25, 2019 at 8:22 am #

Looks like a very interesting and entertaining evening! I would love to take my son!!

8. Chas September 25, 2019 at 4:50 pm #

I love this music and to hear it live would be a dream come true!

9. Jake B. September 26, 2019 at 4:06 pm #

Oh yes I’m quite curious and intrigued by this one!

10. Patricia Tucker September 26, 2019 at 6:52 pm #

I’m thinking of my son who has been enthralled with the Renaissance and Baroque, who thrives on, and thrills at, sharing stories and facts about music and history, creating his own youtube videos to introduce as many who will take the time to listen to the wonders of music past – instruments, themes, cultural roots. Not your typical teenager – and so very special. It would mean the world to be able to share this with him. I promise you would have no more utterly fascinated, appreciative, enthusiasic new fans than Daniel and I would be. In reading the description it feels like it was made for my boy. Please consider us for this marvleous opportunity to hear Dark Horse Consort!! Thank you!!

11. Erin B September 30, 2019 at 10:11 am #

Oh this would be so great – back to the roots. Would love to go.

12. Johanna October 1, 2019 at 2:32 pm #

Sounds wonderful!

13. Molli Taylor October 3, 2019 at 6:18 am #

this looks like a really different kind of show and i would love to check it out

14. Erica October 4, 2019 at 6:27 am #

Yes please!

15. Lena Bainbridge October 5, 2019 at 9:30 am #

I would love to attend to experience these unique instruments and style of music!

16. Brandie October 5, 2019 at 10:56 pm #

I would love to attend an event like this because I have always wanted to hear classical music first hand. I have grown to enjoy classical music over other genres recently, and this would be a fun date night!

17. Renee October 6, 2019 at 1:30 pm #

My father is a classical musician, and I grew up with a privileged education in the fine arts. Privilege rarely recognizes itself for ignorance is its own privileged state.
    My spouse did not grow up with the same opportunities to see any classical music performed in concert halls. In fact, the first time they head it performed live, we were simply watching the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra practice for their performance of Dvořák’s Symphony, From the New World.
    We clearly no longer can attend my father’s rehearsals for the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra. I no longer take my privileged education in classical music for granted, and I want to share my love and appreciation for it with the person I love and appreciate most of all. I adore seeing their eyes light up as they absorb every aspect of attending an orchestral show. Their eyes roam throughout the concert hall and their focus dances from musician to musician. Their eyes gaze in pure amazement at the conductor cuing the player of each instrument’s participation. The conductor is creating an experience that a very different people enjoyed hundreds of years ago. To attend a classical concert is to allow yourself to immerse yourself in another time and holistically experience a piece of the past. Perhaps it is the only time travel we will ever know!
    Jaconb van Eyck’s “Doen Daphne D’over Schoone Maeght” is one of the most paradoxical pieces I have ever heard. It is haunting yet playful, joyous yet relaxing, invigorating yet mournful. The song speaks to the nature of love– to love is to lose, yet to lose is to mine the veins of more love. To mourn lost loves is to pour every drop of love you have into moments of remembrance great mindfulness. Loving is accepting inevitable loss. We always choose love, and we are the source of our own tragedy. I love knowing this feeling has been shared by many more before me, and I feel that much more connected to humanity as a whole.