Portland Adult Soapbox Derby • 35 Hotdog Millionaire | Photo by victorvonsalza
The 2019 Portland Adult Soap Box Derby is Saturday at Mt. Tabor Park. It is a huge event that everyone should check out at least once. It’s free to attend, and you are allowed to bring beer, wine, and food (no hard alcohol). There will be some food vendors out there as well. Below is the info, spectator map, and crash videos from years past!
Related Portland Events and Giveaways:
- Win Tickets: Citizens of the Universe @ The Goodfoot | W/ Brizzleman, Funk, Hip Hop, Afrobeat (August 15)
- Win Tickets ($20): Trio Subtonic @ The Goodfoot Pub & Lounge | w/ Dan Balmer, Etta’s World (August 17)
- Win Tickets ($60): Five Feet from Famous presents: Jackson and Prince @ The Melody Event Center | A Night with Their Guitarists (Jennifer Batten and Kat Dyson) (August 17)
- Win Tickets ($100): Sneaker Week PDX Fashion Show w/ BLOOM @ The Sentinel Hotel | Featuring the Hottest Streetwear & Sneaker Brands! (August 17)
- Win Tickets ($125): Drag Queen Brunch @ Bit House Saloon | Disco Theme, Hosted by Sasha Scarlett (August 18)
Portland Adult Soapbox Derby
August 17, 2019
10am – 4 pm | Free | All Ages
Every year since 1997, Portland’s finest freaks have pulled their home built creations to the top of Mount Tabor and let gravity guide them to the bottom of the hill.
The PDX Adult Soap Box Derby continues a beloved summertime tradition at Mt. Tabor Park—a community event that draws crowds of 7,000-10,000 people to watch a colorful and sidesplitting spectacle of 40+ coaster cars powered only by gravity, whimsy, and attitude. Camaraderie abounds as some teams focus on speed and engineering (Science!). Some on crowd pleasing or simply shit talk (Art!) and still others find a place in between. It’s a perfect day for a picnic!
The teams coast down the course three times before the championship rounds. Winners receive awards for speed, engineering, art, crowd pleasure and many other categories at the end of the day. The competition makes for an exciting day enjoyed by spectators of all ages who are invited to get comfortable and enjoy the race at no admission cost.
Mt. Tabor Park is an extinct volcano nestled in the heart of Portland. It’s a wonderful place for a picnic and while you are there please remember that there is ongoing habitat restoration in the park. Please stay on trails and sit only in designated areas.
And for the love of Pete, please do not bring your dog. And keep your kids close. Seriously. It’s exciting to be right up at the track, but we don’t need anyone or anything running on to the track when the cars go by.
And maybe a backpack for the little one instead of a stroller? There are a ton of people up there, and the terrain is better navigated on foot.
More Portland Soapbox Derby Photos: