We are giving away a pair of tickets to on January 31. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Friday, January 25.

January Power Breakfast
January 31, 2019
7:30-9a | $50 | All Ages
More info: bizjournals.com

Sentinel Hotel
614 SW 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97205

Kimberly is responsible for the city’s overall economic development. As Portland evolves from a small city to a major one, Kimberly is tasked with the responsibility of building an equitable economy that can sustain the growth while equally benefiting all residents. She came to Prosper Portland after spending four years leading Mayor Sam Adams’ economic development agenda overseeing the City’s first economic development strategy in 15 years.

In her previous position as Deputy Director, Ms. Branam oversaw the delivery of programs and initiatives within the Central City, Neighborhood and Business & Industry Divisions to further the agencys strategic objectives. Ms. Branam came to Prosper Portland after spending four years leading Mayor Sam Adams economic development agenda, first as then-Commissioner Adams Senior Policy Director for Economic Development & Workforce Development and then as Director of Economic Development in the Mayor’s Office. In this latter role, Ms. Branam oversaw the development, adoption and implementation of the City’s first economic development strategy in 15 years on the Mayors behalf.

Prior to working for Mayor Adams, Ms. Branam earned a Masters in Public Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School. While at Harvard, she consulted to the US Treasury on the strengthening of targeted public/private partnerships and spent time working in Congressman Earl Blumenauer’s office. Before attending Harvard, Ms. Branam worked for the Peace Corps in Burkina Faso, West Africa. Her work focused on education and community development in a rural village. After the Peace Corps, Ms. Branam remained in West Africa to serve as a community development project manager for Catholic Relief Services. Ms. Branam is a third generation Portlander, and a graduate of Grant High School and Colby College in Maine.

What do you do at Prosper Portland?

I’m responsible for leading our agency and ensuring we achieve our mission of creating economic growth and opportunity in Portland.

What do you like most about your job?

I love that the work we do supports businesses to create new opportunities, empowers people to change their lives, and helps communities to realize their aspirations across the city I grew up in and love.

What does equity mean to you?

To me, equity means many things. From a leadership perspective, it means helping transform Prosper Portland into an anti-racist organization. It means wrestling daily with the relative ease of being a white woman guiding our work, and the discomfort of being a leader without many of the equity-focused answers. It means listening, reading, reflecting and having unusually honest conversations. And, in the most personal way, it means beginning to see our city and nation through the eyes of my brown skin children. Its complicated and its essential.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Win Tickets ($100): January Power Breakfast @ Sentinel Hotel | Kimberly Branam, Executive Director, Prosper Portland

1. Kathy Rankin January 15, 2019 at 12:11 pm #

It is important to me that ALL people, even white people, are treated fairly and according to their
    skills & talents. Color of skin has nothing to do with what ya know, so I feel that everyone should
    get an “equal opportunity” in life. Whether you are boy or girl, brown or white, red or black, fat
    or skinny, short or tall, young or old, it is comes down to what ya know and how well you can
    get along with others. I would like to know more about this organization and hopefully go.

2. Richard January 15, 2019 at 2:54 pm #

I have been a fan of Prosper Portland since way back when they were known as PDC. I would enjoy hearing the director speak.

• Lisa January 16, 2019 at 8:35 am #

Totally positive vibes.

3. Cate Draney January 16, 2019 at 9:25 am #

I want to learn about her and Prosper Portland!

4. Kelly Raynor January 17, 2019 at 8:30 am #

I help run a local nonprofit (modifystyle.org) and I want to learn about how we can include POC in our programs and make sure everyone has equal access to opportunity.

5. Elizabeth January 17, 2019 at 11:59 am #

I would love to attend to learn more about Prosper Portland!

6. Anna January 17, 2019 at 2:49 pm #

I used to work with Kimberly and would love to hear her talk. I need to network more. Thanks for the contest!

7. Hilary P January 17, 2019 at 4:07 pm #

My appetite always runs high for a Power Breakfast!

8. Britta B January 18, 2019 at 7:53 am #

This seems like an amazing opportunity to learn more about important happenings with Prosper PDX.

9. John Jensen January 20, 2019 at 1:09 am #

Sounds like a great opportunity to listen and learn about Portland and its economic development.

10. Aurianna January 20, 2019 at 4:50 pm #

Im looking for new networking opportunities like this!

11. Sion Hillebrand January 22, 2019 at 6:49 am #

I’d be very interested to hear more about Ms. Branam’s thoughts on economic growth, plans for Prosper Portland, and for the broader Portland community. Sign me up!

12. Michelle Stein January 22, 2019 at 12:22 pm #

Sounds like a great networking opportunity!

13. KJ January 22, 2019 at 12:26 pm #

I find this topic extremely interesting and would love to attend.

14. Patti January 22, 2019 at 2:16 pm #

I work with some of Portland’s most vulnerable citizens and want to know more about how we are going to move forward as community to support and include them in our growth

15. A. January 22, 2019 at 3:13 pm #

I’m excited about Prosper Portland’s plans for the Interstate Corridor area, and hope the neighborhood land team I’m associated with can find ways to partner in those goals.

16. Nicole SmithRyan January 24, 2019 at 2:26 pm #

She sounds fascinating and breakfast is always power, would love to learn more

17. SL January 24, 2019 at 3:36 pm #

I’m always looking for ways to improve the work we do and impact our community in a more positive way. I coincidentally received an RFQ today to do future work with Prosper Portland. Any opportunity to learn more in depth about what they’re doing would be invaluable for me. Thanks for considering.

18. PATRICIA F MANN January 24, 2019 at 10:03 pm #

This would be a gift a need to understand what Portland will be in the future. I greatly respect PP.

19. Nate January 25, 2019 at 2:42 pm #

Love old Portland, very curious about NEW Portland.