Portland Swift Watch photo by heathre
The Chapman Swifts Watch starts this week in NW Portland. Crowds gather one hour before sunset every night in September to watch thousands of Vaux’s Swifts gather in the city as they prepare to migrate to Central America and Venezuela! Below are more pictures and a video trailer for “On The Wing”, a documentary film on the Chapman Swifts.
Related Portland Events & Giveaways
- Win Tickets: Tony Ozier w/ Doo Doo @ The Goodfoot | w/ Secial Guests Arietta Ward & P Hustle (Aug 30)
- Win Tickets ($30): Portland Storyteller’s Guild Presents JOURNEYS @ Clinton Street Theater | Featuring Stories by Shay Knorr, Juliana Person and Eric Foxman (Sept 1)
- Win Tickets ($20): McTuff @ The Goodfoot | Joe Doria on the Hammond Organ, Jazz, Funk, Soul, Psychedelia (Sept 1)
- Win Tickets ($49): Happy Hour @ The Zoo: Party for Aquatic Animals! | Meet the Keepers, Lawn Games, Photo Ops, Drinks (Sept 5)
- Win Tickets ($60): Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls @ Crystal Ballroom | Be More Kind World Tour 2018, Folk, Punk, Alternative, Country (Sept 6)
- Win Tickets ($40): RISK! @ Revolution Hall | Real People Telling True Stories They Never Thought They’d Dare to Share (Sept 6)
1445 NW 26th Ave. | Portland, OR 97210
971-222-6119 | More info: audubonportland.org
Swift Watch 2018
What: Watch Vaux’s Swifts prepare to roost for the night
When: One hour before sunset, each night in September
Where: Chapman Elementary School in northwest Portland
We expect Vaux’s Swifts to use the Chapman chimney as an evening roost during their fall migration. Join us on the school lawn and in neighboring Wallace Park to observe the birds gathering overhead. On most evenings, Audubon volunteers will be on hand to share information about Vaux’s Swifts.
Every year in late August, one of Portland’s most spectacular natural events begins: Thousands of Vaux’s Swifts gather in the city as they prepare to migrate to Central America and Venezuela.
Migrating swifts often use chimneys as roosts (places to sleep), and they are likely to return to the same roost year after year. One swift population has been returning to the Chapman chimney since the 1980s, and it is one of the largest known roosting sites of migrating Vaux’s Swifts. More history here: audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/vauxsswift
Free Swift Watch parking is available at Montgomery Park and SELCO Community Credit Union. Do not expect to find on-street parking near the event – please park at Montgomery and SELCO if at all possible.
- Montgomery Park is located six blocks from Chapman at 2701 NW Vaughn St. Note: from the Chapman area, NW Vaughn cannot be accessed from NW 27th, 28th or 29th Ave.
- SELCO Community Credit Union is located at NW 25th and Thurman. Note: The SELCO lot will be available each night starting at 5:30 p.m.
We Need Your Help!
Please be a good neighbor to Chapman-area residents during Swift Watch:
1) Parking is limited, so use other transit options when possible. 2) During the event, leash and pick up after dogs, and keep an eye on your kids. 3) After the event, pick up your trash and do not loiter on school grounds. 4) It is illegal to consume alcoholic beverages or smoke on public school grounds.
Chapman Swifts Pictures
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by Nora Zimmerly
Photo by K. Kendall
Description: On The Wing is a documentary film that tells the story of Portland’s Chapman Swifts. This trailer gives you a peek at the phenomenon and its cult following. More information at swiftsmovie.com
Our Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is available for iPhones!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town.
Download the App for iPhone here