We are giving away a pair of tickets to Cracker & Camper Van Beethoven @ Aladdin Theater on January 2 . To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Monday, December 28.

Cracker @ Aladdin Theater Cracker & Camper Van Beethoven
January 2, 2016
Doors 7 p.m., Show 8 p.m. | $22 | Minors under 21 OK w/ Guardian
Tickets: aladdin-theater.com

Aladdin Theater
3017 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202
(503) 234-9694

Cracker
This December Cracker will be releasing their tenth studio effort, entitled Berkeley To Bakersfield, a double-album that finds this uniquely American band traversing two different sides of the California landscape – the northern Bay area and further down-state in Bakersfield.

Despite being less than a five-hour drive from city to city, musically, these two regions couldn’t be further apart from one another. In the late ‘70s and ‘80s a harder-edged style of rock music emerged from the Bay area, while Bakersfield is renowned for its own iconic twangy country music popularized, most famously, by Buck Owens and Merle Haggard in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Yet despite these differences, they are both elements that Cracker’s two cofounders, David Lowery and Johnny Hickman, have embraced to some degree on nearly every one of their studio albums over the last two decades. On Berkeley To Bakersfield, however, instead of integrating these two genres together within one disc, they’ve neatly compartmentalized them onto their own respective regionally-titled LPs.

As Lowery explains, “On the Berkeley disc the band is the original Cracker lineup – Davey Faragher, Michael Urbano, Johnny and myself. This is the first time this lineup has recorded together in almost 20 years. We began recording this album at East Bay Recorders in Berkeley, CA. For this reason we chose to stylistically focus this disc on the music we most associate with the East Bay: Punk and Garage with some funky undertones. To further match our sense of place we often took an overtly political tone in the lyrics.”

“This Bakersfield disc represents the ‘California country’ side of the band. Throughout the band’s 24-year history we’ve dabbled in Country and Americana but this time we wanted to pay homage to the particular strain of Country and Country-Rock music that emerges from the inland valleys of California.”

Cracker has been described as a lot of things over the years: alt-rock, Americana, insurgent-country, and have even had the terms punk and classic-rock thrown at them. But more than anything Cracker are survivors. Cofounders Lowery and Hickman have been at it for almost a quarter of a century – amassing ten studio albums, multiple gold records, thousands of live performances, hit songs that are still in current radio rotation around the globe (“Low,” “Euro-Trash Girl,” “Get Off This” and “Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out With Me” to name just a few), and a worldwide fan base – that despite the major sea-changes within the music industry – continues to grow each year.

Camper Van Beethoven
“We didn’t want to jump right back in and make that ‘Bad Reunion Record’ that most bands make when they try to reform. We were more concerned with getting used to each other and figuring out that we could still make music together, before we made a big deal out of announcing that we were back.”

So says David Lowery of the extended gestation period that preceded New Roman Times, Camper Van Beethoven’s first album of new material since reuniting after a decade-long hiatus.

In the second half of the 1980s, Camper Van Beethoven-David Lowery (vocals, guitar), Victor Krummenacher (bass, vocals), Greg Lisher (guitar), Jonathan Segel (violin, guitar, keyboards) and Chris Pedersen (drums), plus late addition David Immerglück (guitar and various stringed instruments)—was one of its era’s most original and influential indie rock bands. The quintet effortlessly combined an iconoclastic, irony-laced lyrical stance with a free-spirited eclecticism that encompassed a dizzying array of stylistic influences, from punk to folk to psychedelia to all manner of world music. Camper’s visionary embrace of disparate genres established them as innovators, while their songs’ combination of barbed satire and poignant humanism stymied those who’d attempt to pigeonhole them as a mere novelty.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Win Tickets ($44): Cracker & Camper Van Beethoven @ Aladdin Theater | Rock, Alternative

1. Mark December 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm #

I want to go to this show because I’ve been a CVB/Cracker fan for almost 30 years. I missed out on their last gig here, with Leftover Salmon, and I need this.
    I’m going through a divorce, and I’m not with my kids, and everything is pretty down now. I would love to go to this show and just enjoy myself for a bit.
    Bonus points: I not only own David Lowery’s solo album, I bought an autographed copy from his site.

2. William Longnecker December 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

Love LOVE LOVE these guys!

3. Amber December 22, 2015 at 5:28 am #

Yes please.

4. Solar December 23, 2015 at 5:48 pm #

Not only is my love for these guys deep…I was in boarding school a LONG time ago (1989), and we had permission to smoke in the basement in what was practically a prison cell. When I arrived in the cell, the wall was COVERED with Camper Van Beethoven lyrics and we used to blast them all night.

My boyfriend was playing them in his car when we first met a few months ago. I would LOVE to surprise him with these tickets. My answers here usually involve gifting something wonderful to him if I win.

5. Chris Y December 23, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

This would be great to go to! Cracker!!

6. Maureen A. December 23, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

Last time I saw CVB they were amazing! Would love to see them again! With Cracker! Fantastic!

7. Lauri December 23, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

Last time I saw CVB was in Washington DC in the 90s, before my three kids came along :). It’s great that they’re still around making music and can come to our wonderful city. A night out with CVB would be a great New Year’s present, hint hint. Thanks, PDX Pipeline for entertaining and informing me all year long. <3

8. Paul December 23, 2015 at 6:58 pm #

I’d love to go, loving both of these bands for quite some time now.
    Never having had the chance to see either perform live – it would be a real treat.

9. Linda S December 23, 2015 at 7:52 pm #

I have never seen them and would enjoy going

10. jaredw December 23, 2015 at 10:40 pm #

I love em both. I got cracker soul and I was born in a laundry mat. Send me and I will be soo greatful.

11. Cindy Lou December 24, 2015 at 1:31 am #

Haven’t seen Camper Van in decades and would love to go.

12. Sterling Young December 24, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Hello, my name is Sterling and I believe that I can make a good case as to why those tickets should go to me. First off, I have been a die hard fan for Cracker for about 24 years now. And if it were not for me being unlawfulley terminated from my job last month- I would have simply paid for the tickets myself; no matter the cost. I cannot put into words of all the great memories that my friends and I all had together when we were young and everyone of us were all still together. Even TODAY when I hear “low” I burst into tears of joy. That might sound stupid to some people if they read that but, it is the 100% TRUTH! All of my very most fond memories of my childhood friends were of all of us hanging together- right after school then we would all head home around 12:30 or so to get up and go to class in the morning. This specific period of time I’m referring to began when we all had realized that we were graduating in 8 months. And we knew that when we did graduate- realistically; we would never even see each other again. And if we did see each other- it just wasn’t the same. Because I wasn’t the same person and neither were they. That’s why myself and my childhood friends spent so much time together or Senior year. Because we knew that we all had to grow up and get into a good college. Out of my large group of buddies, 90% of them went to schools out of state. When that summer ended and we all went our separate ways; honestly, it was the saddest thing I ever went through. You see we were VERY CLOSE and we all had nothing but true brotherly love for each other. My best friend (one of my dearest friends in that group I’ve been telling you about will be here in Portland on the 28th and is staying for a week. He’s thinking of moving up here because I nonstop talk on the phone to him about how Awesome and completely beautiful it is here. We have not even SEEN each other face to face in 22YEARS!! This childhood friend of mine that I met in elementary school back in Texas was the first person who ever even turned me on to music. And he being an INCREDIBLE musician himself- truly did know what good music was. I’ve told him that there are a lot of great musicians here in Portland and I just know that he will fit right in. He’s still playing professionally but just as a hobbie right now. Our other mutual friend- “Shiben” who played in a band in HS with my friends, Jerrod, Brad, Shiben, and Bruce. Brad lives in NYC and has just finished I think his 3rd Album, Bruce has a big following in Europe so he’s been over there for about 5 years now, I think and just loves it. My friend “Shiben” however, is the guy that has really made it in music. He was just here this summer playing at the Sleep Country Ampitheater in Washington. On that tour it was The Fray, Matt Nathanson w/ Shiben and Train. My buddy Shiben played on the Tonight Show twice in the last three years, Conan, Jimmy Kimmell, Rachel Ray, they (Matt and Shiben) even did a live concert solo on VH1 last Christmas. Shiben is playing mostly with Jakob Dylan these days, but still gets in the studio to record for Matt, or to record something for Jud Apatow. He’s written on several of his movies. I really hope that this letter wasn’t too long. I just had to desribe to you how it is MUSIC; specific kinds of music (like Cracker) that takes me back to that place in time where I was just hanging with my best friends (all musicians) cracking up laughing, having and experiencing new adventures together and that time in our lives- there were several bands that we played that made up a soundtrack to our lives at that moment in time. It would be a HUGE SURPRISE if I were able to get those two tickets and surprise him by us going to that show. And if that doesn’t happen- I hope that whoever does get them will actually go to the show and listen. If they did that I bet they’ll have a great time! However, I can assure you of this- if I do win them; you’ll be a part of doing something really special for two old, childhood friends.

13. Marissa December 24, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Would love to go!!

14. Cory December 24, 2015 at 9:29 am #

Make me sweat!

15. Christina Larson December 24, 2015 at 11:02 pm #

I have always wanted to see CVB live. This concert will be in my neighborhood. It’s meant to be!

16. Dave G. December 25, 2015 at 12:27 am #

Just get high with the radio on….drive your car up on the lawn!

17. Kristen December 26, 2015 at 8:43 pm #

ohpleaseohpleaseohplease, I miss 1994 so much.

18. Carl December 27, 2015 at 6:59 am #

Well I was gonna buy Cracker tickets, but I didn’t. Its the thought that counts, and I think I’m a bit too broke. But there’s some change in my ashtray, maybe just enough to pay, for a half pint of something that I’ll sneak in that will make me choke

19. Brittanie December 27, 2015 at 9:51 pm #