We are giving away 3 pairs of tickets to Holiday Ale Festival @ Pioneer Courthouse Square on December 3-7. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Friday, November 28.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
From our sponsors:
2014 Holiday Ale Festival
December 3-7, 2014
11 a.m. to 10 pm Wednesday through Saturday
11 am to 5 pm Sunday
$35 | 21+
More info: holidayale.com
Pioneer Courthouse Square
701 SW 6th Avenue, Portland, OR 97204
The 19th annual Holiday Ale Festival will take place Dec. 3 through Dec. 7 at Pioneer Courthouse Square, located at 701 SW Sixth Ave. in the heart of downtown Portland.
The popular event will feature at least four-dozen big, bold ales designed to fend off the cold chill of a long winter night. From Belgians, barleywines and CDAs to winter warmers, porters and stouts, these beers have either been crafted specifically for the event or are hard-to-fine vintages, underscoring the event’s reputation as one of finest gathering of winter beers anywhere in the nation.
Event hours are 11am to 10pm Wednesday through Saturday, and 11am to 5pm Sunday. To avoid the lengthy lines that often accompany beer festivals, the recommended days for attendance are Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. The Holiday Ale Festival is for ages 21 and over.
Despite being held outdoors during one of the coldest months of the year, more than 15,000 festival attendees stay warm and dry over the five-day festival under clear-topped tents that cover the venue. Gas heaters create a cozy ambiance beneath the boughs of the region’s largest decorated Christmas tree. In addition to beer tasting, the festival also features meet the brewer events, a root beer garden, food vendors, beer pairings with cheese, event merchandise and a coat and bag check that raises funds for the Children’s Cancer Association.
What makes this festival standout from other similar events is the beer selection: the festival works with every brewery involved to make sure they send a beer that has either been made or blended specifically for the event, or is a rare or vintage beer that isn’t commonly tapped in the state, underscoring the event’s reputation as one of finest gathering of winter beers anywhere in the nation. These top tier breweries are supported by some of the nation’s most passionate beer appreciators who have the good fortune to be able to celebrate all their favorite breweries in one location.
This year’s participating breweries are 10 Barrel, 13 Virtues, 2 Towns, Alameda, Baerlic, Base Camp, Bear Republic, Burnside, Cascade, Coalition, Deluxe, Deschutes, Dick’s, Dogfish Head, Drakes, Eel River, Elysian, Ex Novo, Fearless, Feckin, Finnriver, Fort George, Gigantic, Gilgamesh, Golden Valley, Hopworks, Kells, Lagunitas, Lompoc, Mazama, McMenamins Edgefield, Migration, Natian, Nectar Creek Honeywine, New Belgium, Ninkasi, No-Li, Oakshire, Old Town, Payette, Portland, Rock Bottom, Rogue, Rusty Truck, Santiam, Seven Brides, Sixpoint, Slanted Rock, Stickmen, Stone, Vertigo, Viking Braggot and Widmer. (For a complete list of beers, see holidayale.com)
To enter and consume beer, the purchase of an entry package is required. Packages cost $35 and include the 2014 tasting mug and 12 taster tickets. Once inside the festival, a full mug of beer costs four taster tickets, and a taster costs one ticket. Certain limited release and special tappings may not be available in full mug pours, or may cost double tickets. Additional beer tickets can be purchased for $1 apiece. Previous years’ mugs will not be filled.
Advance GA packages will be available for the same price, but will include expedited entry all five days. Advance VIP packages will be available for $80 and include the tasting mug, 30 taster tickets, bottled water, access to VIP lines (including special tappings), VIP only vintage bottles and/or draft and express entry all five days. Express re-entry requires a wristband and the 2014 mug, and is subject to the festival’s capacity. All advance packages will go on sale in October at www.holidayale.com.
Designated drivers in a party of two or more may purchase a designated driver wristband for $10, which includes Crater Lake Root Beer or bottled water for the duration of the stay.
Returning to the event is the 11th annual Sunday Beer Brunch, taking place Dec. 7 from 11am to 1pm on the upper level of Pioneer Courthouse Square. Ticket holders are greeted at the door with a warn Liege style waffle from the Waffle Window paired with vintage Brasserie Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux. The auxiliary event features European pastries, cured meats and artisanal cheeses to accompany an assortment of exclusive vintage draft and bottled winter beers not available at the festival itself, plus several special large format bottles to be shared during the event. Tickets cost $80 and will be available at www.holidayale.com in early October.
For more information, visit www.holidayale.com.
- 10 Barrel Brewing Co., TBA, Double Black Ale with Black Licorice
- 13 Virtues Brewing Co., Barrel-Aged MAX Stout, Imperial Stout
- 2 Towns Ciderhouse, Bourbon Barrel Nice & Naughty, Cider
- Alameda Brewing Co., Admiration IPA, American IPA
- Baerlic Brewing Company, The Great Bear, NW Red Ale aged on Beechwood
- Base Camp Brewing Company, Dunkelrauch Weizenbock, Imperial Grätzer
- Bear Republic Brewing, Do You Want to Build A Snowman?, Golden Barrel Aged Blend
- Burnside Brewing, Jingleberry, Imperial Stout aged on Fresh Cranberries
- Cascade Brewing, Gingersnaps, NW Style Sour Strong Ale
- Coalition Brewing, Big Maple, Imperial Maple Porter
- Deluxe Brewing Company, Dunkel the Halls…With Beer & Jolly, Dunkel Bock
- Deschutes Brewery, Scarlet Flame IRA, India Red Ale
- Dick’s Brewing Company, Black Friday Stout, Imperial Stout
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Dogfish Head Raison d’Etre, Belgian-style Brown Ale
- Drake’s Brewing Co., Jolly Rodger 2014, Imperial Coffee Stout
- Eel River Brewing, Gargantua II, Whiskey Barrel Vanilla Imperial StrongAle Blend
- Elysian Brewing Company, Knock on Nelson, IPA with Nelson Sauvin
- Ex Novo Brewing Co., TBD, Mexican Chocolate Baltic Porter
- Fearless Brewing Company, Ichabod, Pumpkin Ale, Spice/Herb/Vegetable
- Feckin Brewery, Top O’ The Feckin’ Mornin’, Imperial Espresso Milk Porter
- Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Finnriver Stone & Pome Cider, Barrel Aged Plum and Peach Cider
- Fort George Brewery and Public House, Santa’s Dinner Jacket, Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Red Ale
- Gigantic Brewing, Red Rider BB Gun, Saison with Cranberries
- Gilgamesh Brewing, Eastside Bandit, Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter
- Golden Valley Brewery, Pinot Noir Barrel-Aged Tannen Boom, Barrel-Aged Belgian-Style Strong Ale
- Hopworks Urban Brewery, The Incredible Abominable of the
- Enchanted Barrel Forest, Barrel Aged Imperial Winter Ale
- Kells Brew Pub, MIC Stout AKA Boom Roaster, Milk Imperial Coffee Stout
- Lagunitas Brewing Company, Scare City, Wheatwine
- Lompoc Brewing, Pinot Noir Barrel Aged Cheval de Trait Belge, Belgian Strong Ale
- Mazama Brewing Co., Noel Rouge, Imperial Wit
- McMenamins Edgefield Brewery, Lord of Misrule, Rum Barrel Aged Habanero
- Migration Brewing, Frankie Claus, Belgian Imperial Stout
- Natian Brewery, Irish Water, Imperial Golden Ale
- Nectar Creek Mead, Triple Brett, Barrel Aged Sour Session Mead
- New Belgium Brewing Company, La Folie, Sour Brown Ale
- Ninkasi Brewing Co, Doppelbock, Doppelbock
- No-Li Brewhouse, Whiskey Barrel Aged Winter Warmer, Winter Warmer
- Oakshire Brewing, Prestidigitation, White Chocolate Milk Stout
- Old Town Brewing Company, Bluth’s Original Chocolate
- Banana Hefeweizen, Chocolate Bavarian-style Hefeweizen
- Payette Brewing Company, Bandito, IPA with Agave and Tequila Soaked Oak Chips
- Portland Brewing, 2014 Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout,
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout with Coffee
- Rock Bottom, Yul Brynner, Santo Poco style Strong Ale
- Rogue Ales, BIG ASS BARREL Maple Doppelbock, German Style Doppelbock
- Rusty Truck Brewing Co, Santaweizen, Weizenbock
- Santiam Brewing, Golden Sultan, Belgian Golden Strong
- Seven Brides Brewing, The 503, Barleywine
- Sixpoint Brewery, Lump of Coal Porter, Robust Porter
- Slanted Rock Brewing Company, Cordial Tease, Spiced Winter Ale
- Stickmen Brewery & Skewery, Big Chocolate Banana, Dunkelweizen
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station, New Desecrator, Black Barley Wine
- Vertigo Brewery and Taproom, Busted Head Red, Imperial Red Ale
- Viking Braggot Company, Aurora, NW Amber Braggot
- Widmer Brothers Brewing, Frosty The Munchieman, Porter