Portland’s monthly First Thursday event is tonight! The weather is perfect, and there are sure to be thousands of people roaming NW Portland. There are over 50 (probably 100) galleries having openings this month, with most openings taking place in the Pearl district and Old Town/China Town. Most gallery openings begin at 5PM or 6PM and end at 9PM or 10PM.
We have a very large list below thanks to Sequential Art Gallery (328 NW Broadway). They compile an email called the “[h]IT LIST” of events every month. You can join it by emailing them @ sequentialart @ gmail dot com. We have reproduced much of it below with permission.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff
Related Portland Events & Info:
- Events: Our Portland July Events Calendar & Ticket Giveaways
- Free Music: EcoTrust Frist Thursday Concert Series | FREE, Protecting Water feat. TYPHOON
- July 5: First Thursday Phunktion w/ Goodfoot All Stars & Philly’s Phunkestra @ The Goodfoot | Funk and Soul
- July 5: My First Oregon Brewers Fest @ Mission Theater | FREE, Craft Beer Brewers Documentary, Guest Taps
- July 5: First Thursday Art Show @ Swift Lounge | FREE, DJ Tant, Yellow Brick Road Swagger, Expressionist Art by Violet Aveline (More Info/Website)
This Month at Sequential Art Gallery
“Honey & The Bee Book” by Mike Dringenberg
Opening Thursday, July 5, 2012 @ 6- 10 p.m.
All Ages | FREE
328 Northwest Broadway Portland, OR 97209
(503) 916-9293 | More Info: www.sequentialartgallery.com
Please join us in July for a wonderful presentation of bee-themed art created by renowned comic and fine artist Mike Dringenberg!
A large portion of the show is original art and final prints from “Honey”, his contribution to Comic Book Tattoo, an anthology of stories based on or inspired by music by singer/songwriter Tori Amos. Additional selections are prints and original art from his own fine art book, The Bee Book. Please note that some pieces in this show might be considered “mature”.
Mike Dringenberg began his comics career during his college years in the mid-80s, working for Vortex, Eclipse, and other indie publishers. Dringenberg is best known for his work with Neil Gaiman on the DC/Vertigo series, “The Sandman”. Initially providing inks for penciller Sam Kieth, he switched to pencilling when Kieth left after the fifth issue. Dringenberg became the visual creator of the Endless characters (Death, Despair, Destruction, Delirium, and Desire). His work appears in the collections “Preludes and Nocturnes”, “The Doll’s House”, and “Season of Mists”.
He also illustrated the DC series Doom Patrol written by Grant Morrison and co-created the character, Flex Mentallo. Additionally, his work has appeared and on the fantasy card games, Magic: The Gathering and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. Currently, Dringenberg resides in Portland, Oregon.
Everett Station Lofts | 625 NW Everett & 328 NW Broadway
- 101. GALERIE SALOME – Open First Thursday
- 102. SOHITEK GALLERY – “So F***ing Gay”- group show of queer artists
- 103. RIGHT SIDE ART – Open First Thursday
- 104. Grand Opening of a brand new gallery!
- 105. PONY CLUB GALLERY – “Matryoshka and Other Drawings” by Jennifer Parks
- 106. COCK GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 107. FOTOEFFECT GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 108. MoHDI (Millions of Hundred Dollar Ideas) – Open First Thursday
- 109. B*ORIGINAL ARTGLASS – Open First Thursday\
- 110. DARRAS – Open First Thursday
- 111. ALKALINE– Open First Thursday
- 113. SEQUENTIAL ART GALLERY– “Honey & the Bee Book” by Mike Dringenberg (see above)
- 114. TIMESHARE– Photography by Will Malzahn; Monoprints by Manny Reyes
- 115. ABSTRACT IDEA MOTION – Open First Thursday
- 116. TYSON GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 117. PAINT HARD – Open First Thursday
- BREEZE BLOCK GALLERY [323 NW 6th Ave] -“The Cohesion” group show, feat. Tommy Cinquegrano, St. Monci, Emily Manalo Ruiz, Courtney Gates
Old Town Chinatown First Thursday Events
- LAN SU CHINESE GARDENS [NW 3rd & Everett]: Open 6-8pm — FREE ADMISSION — Featuring silk embroidery art from Suzhou, China (Portland’s sister city) — thru September
- OREGON NIKKEI LEGACY CENTER [121 NW 2nd]: Open 4-7pm — FREE ADMISSION — “Shadows of Minidoka” by Roger Shimomura
- FIFTY24PDX/ UPPER PLAYGROUND [ 23 NW 5th]: “Zerofriends” featuring work by Alex Pardee
- FLOATING WORLD [400 NW Couch]: “XENOMORPHS” sci-fi inspired group show ]
- BUTTERS [520 NW Davis]: “Blossoming Flowers” by Silvia Poloto; recent glass work by Paul Cunningham
- HELLION [19 NW 5th]: “Too Far Gone” by Dana Woulfe & Kenji Nakayama
- GRAETER GALLERY [131 NW 2nd]: “Building Speed: Motorcycle Racing & Mechanical Triumphs of the 1950s & ’60s” group show
- GRASS HUT [400 NW Couch]: “Get Yer Flag On!” group show
- BACKSPACE [115 NW 5th]: – Open First Thursday
- COMPOUND [107 NW 5th Ave]: “Desk Jazz” by Tom Messenger & Allister Lee
- TRIM/VOJDANI GALLERY at P:EAR [338 NW 6th Ave]: “Snorkel Time” by p:ear youth artists
- 24HR CHURCH OF ELVIS [408 NW Couch] – 24Hr Church of Elvis
Northwest Portland First Thursday Events
- CHAMBERS [916 NW Flanders]: new work by Lisa Gronseth
- LAURA RUSSO [805 NW 21st]: new work by Tom Fawkes and Jack Portland
- AUGEN NW [716 NW Davis ]: “The Woman and the Ape” by Mark Andres; “20th Century Minimalist Prints: From Bauhaus to Broadway” group show
- GALLERY 114 [1100 NW Glisan]: “Keep Portland” by Alana DiCicco
- THE SPACE/ILLIAN RABE LLC [1030 NW 12th Ave]: Open First Thursday
- BLUE SKY [122 NW 8th Ave]: photography by Daniel Traub and Bobby Abrahamson
- BLACKFISH [420 NW 9th Ave]: 17th Annual Recent Graduates group show
- MUSEUM of CONTEMPORARY CRAFT [724 NW Davis]: “Generations: Betty Feves”
- BULLSEYE [300 NW 13th Ave]: “Unforgiving Edge What Remains” by Susan Longini and Carmen Vetter
- ELIZABETH LEACH [417 NW 9th Ave]: “My Findings” by Willy Heeks; recent sculpture by Robert Hudson; selected prints by Ellsworth Kelly
- FROELICK [714 NW Davis]: “Undressing Room”; annual juried group exhibition
- PDX CONTEMPORARY [925 NW Flanders]: “Maybe it Takes a Loud Noise” by Anna Gray and Ryan Wilson Paulsen
- GALLERY 135 [135 NW Park]: “Hit Rewindies” group shoe show, sponsored by Nike, Inc.
Southwest Portland First Thursday Events
- READING FRENZY [921 SW Oak] “The Axiom Absurd” by Harlan Mahaffy
- PORTLAND ART MUSEUM [1219 SW Park]: ongoing collections
- STUMPTOWN DOWNTOWN [128 SW 3rd]: Open First Thursday
- SHAFFER FINE ART [308 SW 1sr Ave]: Original ink drawings on stone by Ken Wachtveitl
- ELROY ARTSPACE @ The ORIGINAL [300 SW 6th Ave]: “Flow Into Summer”, by Jenn Ski
Our new Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is now available for iPhones, Android phones and iPads!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland Events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town. We have also added live happy hours, concert schedules and movies times to help you plan a fun night out in Portland!
Download the App for iPhone here
Download the App for Android here