Top Nav

Pipeline is giving away a pair of tickets to see Make/Believe, presented by White Bird on Friday, January 27. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Thursday, January 26.

FREE TICKETS: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff

From our sponsors at White Bird:
White Bird Make/BelieveWhite Bird presents tEEth’s Make/Believe
Thursday, January 26 – Saturday, January 28
8 p.m. | $20-$30
Purchase Tickets at www.whitebird.org or call PSU Box Office 503-725-3307

Portland State University, Lincoln Hall
1620 SW Park Avenue

White Bird Uncaged is proud to present Portland-based dance company tEEth with its latest evening-length work Make/Believe, January 24-26 at Lincoln Hall, Portland State University. Co-commissioned by White Bird and On the Boards (Seattle), Make/Believe is a performance of basic truths and startling authenticity from choreographer Angelle Hebert and composer Phillip Kraft.

Winner of The Joyce Theater Foundation’s prestigious A.W.A.R.D. Show! at On the Boards in Seattle in 2011 and just selected by Dance Magazine as one of the ¬Å“25 to Watch¬Â in 2012, tEEth offers a poignant and uncompromising glimpse of humanity, combining technical virtuosity with raw visceral impact. tEEth's previous work Home Made (2010) was hailed by Willamette Week as ¬Å“perhaps the single most powerful performance piece to come out of Portland in recent memory.¬Â

tEEth Co-Artistic Directors Angelle Hebert and Phillip Kraft create work through a deeply collaborative process, interweaving original music and movement through melodic and conceptual mirroring. Hebert's precise, distinctive phrases push gestural dance to its limits, while Kraft's music merges gritty sound with hypnotic melody to unveil ¬Å“emotionally gripping, provocative work¬Â (Portland Monthly) that captures life's beauty and dark absurdity.

Make/Believe investigates the limitations of verbal exchange, the psychology of fantasy and the human desire to manipulate the world and the people around us. On a stark stage, tangled in microphone cables, four dancersPhilip Elson, Noel Plemmons, Molly Sides and Shannon Stewartexplore themes of communication, connection, breakdown and physical experience through precise, visceral movement and partnering.

The original sound score by Kraft combines live vocals and computer manipulations with live and pre-recorded music. Microphones transmit, connect and distort the performer's voices, amplifying interior states and deconstructing the formalities of social behavior and interaction. Desire is expressed as both a creative impulse and a denial of reality, as tEEth explores how we attempt to shape our vision of how things could be.

Make / Believe from tEEth on Vimeo.

, , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Win Tickets ($60): White Bird Uncaged Presents tEEth’s Make/Believe | Dance, Music, Computer Manipulations

1. Leonard January 20, 2012 at 12:19 #

I always enjoy White Bird shows!

2. Donna January 20, 2012 at 12:49 #

The emotion and passion shown thru White birds dance is incredible. Just magic! Definitely want to go!

3. Bryan January 20, 2012 at 21:25 #

I have heard so many wonderful things about this troupe and the work that they’re doing! I would be so utterly stoked to win tickets to this, as it’s a bit out of my budget… Po’ folk need art too!

4. Erin January 21, 2012 at 12:40 #

White Bird? Damn! Now that’s some dancing! Can’t afford the tickets, could you help me out?

5. Elie January 21, 2012 at 14:53 #

tEEth rocks! I would love to see this show! Home Made at TBA was amazing, and I can’t wait to see what they’ve cooked up next. : )

6. Isa January 21, 2012 at 16:04 #

TEETH have been on my radar ever since seeing a performance years ago as part of PICA! I recommend seeing their work to everyone – got friends to go to a performance down in SF. Amazing, visceral, emotional, charged, tangible and meaningfully conceptual work. Yay! I keep meaning to check out White Bird – I’ve heard they bring great work to PDX! Thank you PIPELINE for the opportunity to win tix!

7. Aaron January 21, 2012 at 16:11 #

Im a huge supporter of Portland arts, and being musician myself, id love to have a friday night to sit back and enjoy this well talked about show! I go to a lot of plays in the Portland area, but I think its time i broaden my arts to dance accompanied by original music.

8. Cory January 21, 2012 at 22:38 #

I want to feel the raw visceral impact of tEEth as they bite down on my eyes, ears and emotions! White Bird… Make [me] Believe!

9. Heather-lee Harper January 22, 2012 at 17:46 #

White Bird never ceases to amaze and surprise me with the un-matchable talent from all over the world and brings them to us in Portland!

10. Maggie January 23, 2012 at 12:02 #

In this world of limitless verbal exchange, fantasy as a means to cope and survive, and the human desire to manipulate the world and the people around us, what better way to experience this than to view the White Bird dancers exploring the themes of communication, connection, and breakdown. Thank you for giving me this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!!

11. drew January 23, 2012 at 18:30 #

sounds fun

12. Sheri Brown January 24, 2012 at 06:47 #

Several years ago at On the Boards I saw teeth in something like butoh but not butoh and, I seem to recall, literally meat-y. I loved it.

Last year, when I went to see the Award Show at On The Boards to see what “the best of the Northwest” was, I rediscovered and triply confirmed my admiration for this group. Not only was the performance compelling, the technology integrated non-gratuitously, and the human interactions deep yet playful, but also – and arguably most importantly – the piece kept opening up new layers, so that it remained fresh.

I want to make work like Teeth. I want to be inspired and inspiring, with heart, talent and follow through!

13. Lara January 24, 2012 at 15:37 #

Heard great things about them! Would love to go on a date with my hubby and enjoy a night out. Just found out we are expecting our first baby…this is exactly what I would love to do on a Friday night…trying to come up with creative date nights:)

14. flora January 25, 2012 at 11:36 #

haven’t seen this kind of performance…looking forward…

15. Eric T January 25, 2012 at 16:01 #

Cause I need to get out more.

16. Josh January 25, 2012 at 18:42 #

My girlfriend loves this troup and I’d love to be able to offer her a night out “on me” – times are tight. Here’s hopin.

thanks!

17. Catherine January 25, 2012 at 20:56 #

I remember listening to them rehearse through the wall during Open Studios and have wanted to see it since.

18. Katie January 25, 2012 at 22:02 #

I night without children and perhaps a good friend. Ready to watch some bodies move beautifully!

19. mary bauer January 26, 2012 at 19:15 #

outlines of bodies play against light, soul shadows lurking, invoking, knowing, movement east. yes, me, please.

20. daVe January 26, 2012 at 20:55 #

i’d like this performance to disprove the naivete that tells me this will suck.

21. aurora January 27, 2012 at 09:29 #

everytime i see an ad for a white bird performance, i want to go but can rarely rationalize the ticket price. this sounds amazing and free tickets would make it even better.

22. Etan January 5, 2013 at 11:44 #