Portland Reel Music Film Festival

The 29th Annual Reel Music Festival kicks off this Friday with 36 films over the next two weeks.. PDX Pipeline is sponsoring a few films as well and we have SEVERAL pairs of tickets to give out.

Win tickets to the following films:

• THIS IS NOISE POP  (Saturday, Oct 8, 8:45 pm | Whitsell Auditorium)– Featuring Sebadoh, Stephen Malkmus, Death Cab for Cutie, The National, The Donnas, Guided by Voices, Creeper Lagoon, Beulah, Bob Mould, The Dismemberment Plan, The Shins, Britt Daniel, Modest Mouse, Granddaddy, and more.
  • MR. MOJO RISIN: THE STORY OF L.A. WOMAN (Monday, Oct 10, 9:15 pm | Mission Theater)marking the 40th anniversary of the death of Jim Morrison
  • FOO FIGHTERS: BACK AND FORTH (Tuesday, Oct 11, 9:30 pm | Mission Theater) – James Moll's Foo Fighters follows the band from its earliest daysincluding footage of the Foos' first tour, a 1995 series of shows with Eddie Vedder's Hovercraft side project and Mike Watt
  • VINYL: THE ALTERNATE TAKE (Thursday, Oct 12, 9:00 pm | Whitsell Auditorium) – Zweig's original Vinyl (2000) asked the sometimes embarrassing question, ¬Å“Why collect stacks of records when you don't have time to hear them?¬Â Experiencing conflicting emotions over his own vinyl habit, he, in Woody Allen/Andy Rooney-esque fashion, interviewed other disturbed packrats, touring dingy, record-packed apartments

To win, comment below WHCIH FILM you’d like to see and why. Winners drawn on Friday, October 7th for this weekend’s films and Monday, October 10th for next weekend’s films.

Reminder: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff.

———————————–

Portland Reel Music Film Festival Press Release and Info:

From our partners at NW Film Center:
NORTHWEST FILM CENTER'S REEL MUSIC FESTIVAL SCREENINGS
October 7-23, 2011 | Various times
More info/Schedule: www.nwfilm.org

Whitsell Auditorium
1219 SW Park Avenue, Portland, OR 97205

McMenamin's Mission Theater
1624 NW Glisan, Portland, OR 97209
(Screenings at the Mission Theater 21+ only)

Tickets: $9 general admission; $8 students, seniors, Portland Art Museum members | Tickets can be purchased online at www.nwfilm.org.

The Northwest Film Center's acclaimed Reel Music Festival, spotlighting the inspired intersections of film and music through its presentation of music-related short films, documentaries, and music videos, returns for its 29th iteration this fall.

Formerly a mainstay of the January arts and cultural calendar in Portland, Reel Music moves to October this year to accommodate its growth and increasing popularity. The Festival will take place October 7 – 23, 2011.

Kicking off Reel Music 29 with a one-two punch, the opening night film is a new biopic about one of the world's most beloved musicians, directed by a filmmaking legend: Martin Scorsese's George Harrison: Living in the Material World, which screens on Friday, October 7, at 7:00 p.m. in the Film Center's Whitsell Auditorium. Produced for HBO, Scorsese's intimate new film takes viewers on the musical and spiritual voyage that was George Harrison's (1943-2001) life. From Harrison's musical beginnings in Liverpool through his experience as a musician, philanthropist, and filmmaker, Scorsese weaves together never-before-seen material, including interviews with Harrison and his closest friends, performances, home movies, and photographs, resulting in a rare glimpse into the mind and soul of an extraordinarily talented artist.

Other Reel Music 29 highlights include: This is Noise Pop, an exploration of the genesis of indie rock, with director Adam Werbach in attendance; That was Then, This is Now: Portland Music Videos, juxtaposing vintage and current music videos from some of Portland's most talented bands, with several of the musicians and filmmakers in attendance; and Searching for Elliott Smith, tracing the late Portland musician's musical evolution, with director Gil Reyes in attendance. This year's Festival venues are the Film Center's Whitsell Auditorium (1219 SW Park) and McMenamin's Mission Theater (1624 NW Glisan).

The complete 36-film lineup can be found online at nwfilm.org.

, , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to Win Tickets ($50+): Portland Reel Music Film Festival @ NW Film Center | October 7 -23

1. Sara October 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Please!

2. Julia October 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Oh wow. I’m such a huge fan of the Reel Music series and am so completely broke! Have pity on a poor public school teacher and help a girl out!

3. Julia October 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

A teacher but apparently not using my reading skills….I would love to see Scorsese’s film about George Harrison. Both Harrison’s music and spirit were/are so beautiful, and I’d love to see what Scorsese discovered about the man.

4. Ciara October 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

VINYL: THE ALTERNATE TAKE

I used to live with a record hoarder. I once saw myself going down that path, but then saw the light…..

5. Julia October 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Good golly, my face is redder than a tomato! I’d be interested in either of the Noise Pop or the Vinyl films. They both sound like fascinating glimpses into super-cool sub cultures. Ok, did I finally get this right? Sheesh!

6. Nestchick October 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I love music and I’m in a relationship with a film guy. Both of us are unemployed and my “job” is to find fun free things for us to do. The Vinyl screening fits the bill to a tee. Please do me a solid and send the tix my way.

7. Bianca October 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

I would absolutely love to see the George Harrison film. By far the grooviest Beatle.

8. Bianca October 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

Oh gosh, I think I too made a goof. I would like to win tickets to see Mr Mojo Risin!

9. diane October 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

i’m going to make two requests…to fit the spiritual and the animal/flipside of the spiritual. george harrison and jim morrison were both such influential artists & musicians!

10. Jason Castr October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I need inspiration. These tones and visuals will do it. Elliot has been a super interesting creature to me, and I must learn more. YEAHHHHH!

11. Jamie October 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

THIS IS NOISE POP would be so wonderful! It’s tough to choose, but hot damn…that just sounds great. Please oh please, yes please.

12. Nicole October 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Scorsese. Harrison. Need I say more?
    Okay, well…how about treating a poor student to some Portland culture? Did I mention I’m new here? Never been to the Reel Festival before? Recently had my educational funding slashed due to crappy economy/government cut backs, leaving me little chance at ever purchasing my own tickets for such an event? (I’m not bitter, mind you. Just poor. There’s a difference.)
    I got my mind set on George! My sweet, Lord I want tickets!
    Please, PLEASE….have the heart of Harrison and throw this this Beatles fan a bone.
    Don’t make me beg.
    Okay, I’m begging…
    Me! Me! Me! <—-(gently weeping.)

13. Ellen October 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

i want to see GEORGE HARRISON because he’s my mom’s favorite beatle

14. Omar October 5, 2011 at 7:53 am #

Mr Mojo Risin because…Jim

15. Brad October 5, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Dying to see ‘Vinyl: The Alternate Take.’ I need to prepare for my future.

16. Lisa October 6, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Would love to see Foo Fighters. My husband is obsessed with them!

17. Ben October 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Stil have never been to a film festival. Huge fan of all types of music so this might be the one for me.

18. Aaron October 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

would love to be able to go!

19. julie October 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

when your boyfriend listens to your iPod and says “it’s all OLD Foo Fighters [and a couple other bands]”, you know you’re a true fan.

20. Hilary A October 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Yes, George has always been my favorite Beatle, and I love his original new agey sitarry solo works. Martin Scorsese is brilliant. Brilliant plus brilliant should equal a cinematic shining jewel. I am all in.

21. Vanessa October 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Movies + Music. This would make my month.

22. [email protected] October 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

i’m a movie and music addict, and when they collide, that’s probably the genesis of the universe, or at least mine.

23. Aaron October 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Just getting into the Foo and others. Would love the chance to experience them through film!

24. [email protected] October 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

whoops. am down with This Is Noise Pop or Vinyl!

25. Jess October 6, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

i love da foo fighta

26. Fabian Dorgan October 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

I would love to go to the Foo Fighters: Back and Forth! My favorite song is Everlong, by the Foos. I’ve followed the Foos since the beginning. I’m a big Nirvana fan, so luckily I knew of Dave Grohl’s brilliance early on. The band is so suprememly talented, their music videos are spectacular, their live shows I’ve seen on TV are incredible and I feel very connected to them during all of these performances. I can find a song to play by the Foos to match any emotion. Please let me have the opportunity to see them in this new, glorious context! Thank you for your time.

27. Darcey Priss October 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Pretty please, send me to see Mr. Mojo Risin! I think Jim is so intriguing, sexy and enlightening. I wouls love to learn more about him and his music! His voice is distinctive and sensational, I haven’t been exposed to nearly enough of it. Help me get my fill! I would also be so grateful to get the opportunity to attend, because I can’t afford to go otherwise. I’ve been unemployed for more than a year. Thank you so much for providing me this chance!

28. heather October 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

This would be coo’ beans…

29. ariel chevelle October 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Hooooooly craaaaaap, look at that lineup….plus amazing movies GEEE!!!

30. Deb Katz October 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Hi. I’d love to won tickets to Mr. Mojo Risin’ or This is Noise Pop. I’m a musician and love music films, especially documentaries. Thanks!

31. Sara October 8, 2011 at 2:16 am #

I would love to see the George Harrison film by Martin Scorcese!

32. Hannah October 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Awesome, I would love to go to THIS IS NOISE POP!

33. Lauren October 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

I’d love to see this is noise pop because my roommate is a die hard modest mouse fan and i would love to surprise her with tickets!