Portland's monthly First Thursday event is TONIGHT. Time is certainly flying by right now with the beginning of all our great fall events. There are over 50 (probably 100) galleries having openings this month.
We have a very large list below thanks to Sequential Art Gallery (328 NW Broadway) & Rich Vail Mackin. They compile an email called the "[h]IT LIST" of events every month. You can join it by emailing them @ sequentialart @ gmail dot com. We have reproduced much of it below with permission.
Related: Portland EVENTS LISTINGS
Related First Thursday Events & Info From Pipeline:
- First Thursday @ Gallery Sesso: Trio of Erotic Illustrations, Colored Pencil Drawings & OilÃƒâ€š Paintings
- Win Portland Tickets: Open Studios Tour, Halloween Ball, Oregon Music Hall Of Fame Show, Helium Comedy Club,Ãƒâ€š Wordstock
- First Thursday Art Show & Benefit @ Lizard Lounge
- Portland Timbers Playoff Preview: Timbers Face Whitecaps In First Round
- First Thursday Show @ Graeter Art Rep With Jeremy Okai Davis
- Portland First Thursday @ Tender Loving Empire With Y LaÃƒâ€š Bamba
- First Thursday @ Compound Art Gallery Portland | Illustrious With Martin Hsu, Jade Klara, & Nimit Malavia
- Pigeon John Free In-Store Performance At Music Millennium
- October 7: Mortified Portland + Interview With Portland Mayor Sam Adams Live On Stage @ BagdadÃƒâ€š Theater
- First Thursday – The RiPPLE Effect @ Keen Footwear | Sustainability, Art, Music, Video
October 7-10:Portland 2010 WordStock Book Festival ThisÃƒâ€š Weekend
- October 7-9: Nick Thune @ Helium Comedy Club + WinÃƒâ€š Tickets
This Month at Sequential Art Gallery:
MERRICK MONROE'S “THE URBAN ORCHESTRA”
ENTICES VIEWER TO CREATE A STORY
Photographer Merrick Monroe invites us to catch the pause between the notes of life in Portland with her show “The Urban Orchestra”. The images, removed from the context of the time and place in which they were captured, invite the viewer to create their own narrative to explain the why or how that scene came to be. The show was funded entirely via a Kickstarter project and is the first gallery presentation of Merrick's work. “The Urban Orchestra” opens First Thursday, October 7 from 6-10pm, and runs through the month of October.
Sequential Art Gallery + Studio is located in Old Town Chinatown at the Everett Station Lofts, 328 NW Broadway #113. Open for regular gallery hours Thursdays (3pm-7pm) and Saturdays (11am-5pm) or by appointment. The gallery showcases local artists who explore the concept of sequential art, which is loosely defined as using consecutive images to tell a story. Curated by Kaebel JK Hashitani and Merrick Monroe.
Watch LIVE at ustream.tv/channel/sequential-art-gallery-studio
50+ More Portland First Thursday Art Events
ART EVENTS NOT TO BE MISSED!
“A Poster Party for Bike People”
A great deal ofÃƒâ€š bike-inspired poster artwork, by dozens of artists and organizations, will be gracing the walls of The Cleaners at Ãƒâ€š The Ace Hotel on Thursday, October 7.
The folks atÃƒâ€š Seizure Palace are working with many of the artists to print their posters, local cycling stalwarts BikePortland.org and Oregon Manifest will have posters in the show, a series of group rides start from points around town to the gallery. However you get there, Ãƒâ€š Deschutes Brewery will offer you a refreshing glass of something good, with proceeds going to charitable partner, Bikes To Rwanda.
Everett Station Lofts (and neighbors)
- 101. SALOME – work by Joanne Burke as Chromium Dumb Belle
- 117. NISUS – “A Simpler Time?”- black and white photography exhibit.
- 113. SEQUENTIAL ART – “The Urban Ochestra” by Merrick Monroe (see above)
- 105. PONY CLUB – “Monsterbation”, 30 artist group show, curated by Jason JFish Fischer.
- 104. EYEFUL – Custom/vintage bicycles
- 102. TRIBUTE GALLERY -“Looking Through, Photographs by Leslie Hickey and Jonathan Marrs, curated by Michael O'Malley
- ANKA GALLERY – “Kalos Eidos” group show; curated by Anna Solcaniova King
Also (likely to be) open on First Thursday:
103. MODEST – 106. PORTAL – 107. GARBAGEMAN ASTRONAUT – 108. DARRAS – 109. DOPPLER – 111. HALF/DOZEN 114. TRACTOR – 115. ERRATA – 116. TYSON SPACE – A MOOD CHANGE – OGLE
Old Town Chinatown
- TRIM-VODJANI GALLERY AT P:EAR– Oregon Women's Caucus for Art with p:ear youth
- BUTTERS GALLERY – Work by Terence La Noue and Alessandro Casson
- COMPOUND GALLERY – ” Brides and Bashi: Bridge related artwork by Japanese and American Artists”
- FLOATING WORLD – “PRISON PIT 2” by Johnny Ryan
Also (implied to be) open on First Thursday:
GRASS HUT – NRFCU – 24 HOUR CHURCH OF ELVIS – CANAL ROAD – BERBATI'S – FORTUNATO ARTWORKS- MORGAN COLE PASINSKI – GALLERY RENE – HECKLEWOOD – BACKSPACE – GRASSY KNOLL GALLERY – UPPER PLAYGROUND – SHAFFER FINE ART GALLERY
Other NW Galleries
- AUGEN NW – New work by Naomi Shigeta; “Without Gravity”, paintings by Sally Cleveland
- BLUE SKY – “Berlin” by Gerry Badger; “Al Sol” by Stella Johnson
- BLACKFISH– “Translucent Fields and Cubic Knots” by Michael Knutson
- BULLSEYE GALLERY – “Eventide” by Mel Douglas
- CHAMBERS @916 – “Cloud” by Arcy Douglass
- ELIZABETH LEACH GALLERY – “The Buxon Eye”, paintings by Sandi Slone; “Chart Room”, drawings by Christine Bourdette.
- FROELICK GALLERY – 15th Anniversary! Featuring “The Memory of New Things” by Matthew Dennison and “A Lexicon of Persistent Absence” by Bo Joseph
- LAURA RUSSO – New work by Fay Jones and Rae Mahaffey
- LITTLE GREEN GROCER – work by Abraham Wylie
- MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY CRAFT – “Collateral Matters”, selections by Kate Bingaman-Burt and Clifton Burt; “Dropping the Urn” by Ai Weiwei
- PDX CONTEMPORARY ART – “New Westerns” by Jacques Flechemuller
- OREGON JEWISH MUSEUM – “[email protected]: Law and Medicine”
- PACIFIC NORTHWEST COLLEGE OF ART – “Beyond the Fence” by George Johanson
Also (for all I know will be) open First Thursday:
3D CENTER – POWELL'S – CAPLAN ART DESIGNS – CHILDREN'S HEALING ART PROJECT – QUINTANA GALLERIES – VINO PARADISO – PULLIAM DEFFENBAUGH – BEPPU WIARDA – ELROY GALLERIES – KALISTA SALON
ART IN SW
- ACE HOTEL – “Artcrank” group show, a “poster party for bike people” see “Art Events Not to be Missed” above.
- ART MEDIA– work by Jeni Lee
- AUGEN SW – Master Prints by Albers, Arnoldi, Bartlett, Bennett, Dine, Longo, Sienna and others
- PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY – “Trust Falls:New Work From the 2011 Returning PSU MFA Candidates in Contemporay Art Practice”
Also open on First Thursday:
FLORA – RADISH UNDERGROUND – STUMPTOWN COFFEE -ATTIC GALLERY – TENDER LOVING EMPIRE -PORTLAND CHIROPRACTIC – READING FRENZY