Battlestar & Beer? Frak, Yeah! | Bagdad Theater: March 20

By Sherri Montgomery

Battlestar Galatica at Bagdad Theater, Portland, OregonPortland fans of SciFi Channel's popular Battlestar Galatica series have been showing up Friday nights for the past 9 weeks at the McMenamins Bagdad Theater since Battlestar resumed this January. Every week people have braved damn-cold, lousy, wet Portland winter weather, a line stretching around the block to get in, another long line for beer once inside, the vampire series Midnight broadcast while waiting for the latest episode to start, and an endless assault of KFC commercials.

Surprisingly, the fine folks at the Bagdad have had trouble sorting out the logistics of so many people turning out each week.

KUFO has been sponsoring the Friday night showing of Battlestar, sending DJs Cort and Fatboy to host the excitement, threaten beatings if there is any talking, and lead the audience in chanting, “So say we all!” before each show. Local comic & memorabilia shop Things From Another World have also sponsored weekly drawings for show merchandise. This popular event has also seen Mark Verheiden, one of the show's executive producers & writers, and local actress Katee Sackhoff ('Starbuck') show up for post-show Q/A sessions.

This Friday will be the two-hour series finale of BSG and it is sure to be one hell of an ending. Doors will open at 8PM, so plan to come early to stand in line. While you wait to get in you can compare plot theories, discuss the upcoming Caprica prequel series & Battlestar movie directed by Edward James Olmos ('William Adama'), indulge in the seemingly collective dislike of Galactica pilot, 'Hotdog', and hope Fatboy will bring around tots to share.

*Photo by Christie Koehler (subfictional,more here)

———————————–Related Posts

_________________________

Sherri Montgomery teaches yoga, practices Zen Buddhism, gardens, bicycles, writes and lives in North Portland. Her musings, reviews and rants can be found online at pdxyogini or you can follow her on Twitter: @PDXyogini

, ,

14 Responses to Battlestar & Beer? Frak, Yeah! | Bagdad Theater: March 20

1. faddah March 19, 2009 at 7:11 am #

by the by, just so you know, i was there at the event w/ pdx yogini & christie and they can verify this: katee looked into the audience and shot me a knowing glance, which for the two of us, seemed to slow time down & last an eternity, where, with that mischievious, kick-ass, “starbuck” twinkle, she was saying to me & me alone with that look, “if i could leave my career in l.a. and my power broker fiancé and move back to portland and get myself some short, dumpy, chunky, buddhist sweet meat, you know i’d be all over you like white on rice in a new york minute, faddah.” this i know she meant, and meant just to me, in a crowd of 600 other drooling geek fans. she knew i was the one & she communicated it with that look, just to me, in a mere flash of a second. ours is a sacred communication resevered for true love only. i don’t expect others to understand.

• Julian Chadwick March 19, 2009 at 7:14 am #

Faddah,

We are seeking confirmation of this story. It sounds HIGHLY plausible, but we just need to verify.

• Sherri Montgomery March 19, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

Faddah, you old wolf, you!

Katee did shoot some smoldering looks in the direction of one Mr. Faddah to be sure. I also will totally confirm that the whole of the Bagdad was oozing with energy… or was it drool?

See you Friday in the geek line-up!

2. faddah March 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm #

yup, i’m here in line with about 50 – 60 other folk. waiting to see if $5 comedy thing is an option. hellz yeah i’ll pay $5 to get me and my macbook outta the rain. i’ve reconnoitered with your gal pal christie. she’s pickin’ up sodas for us now at freddie’s.

pros – here early, seat guaranteed.

cons – rain, guy in front of line w/ FRAKKIN’ Obnoxious Loud Voice pontificating about the whole history of the show, kevin smith films, etc. as woody allen said in “annie hall”: “oh for a wet sock filled with manure!”

3. lisa March 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

So if I really want in what time do I need to prepare to patiently wait in the cold? Can I come early for a bite to eat then scoot in? I’m so totally bummed I missed Starbuck!

4. Sherri Montgomery March 20, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

Katee’s Q/A session was a whole lot of fun!

I’ve already had reports from friends, including Mr. Faddah up there, that there’s already a line up at the Bagdad to get in. Yes, there were folks in line for this at 3:30 this afternoon!

The Bagdad folks are going to be giving the option to get in early IF, and only if you pay $5 to come in for the comedy show. There were a lot of complaints last week about this, but that’s just the way things are. You can go get in line now, be willing to pay $5 for the comedy show and be assured of a seat you really want for BSG.

Pros — warmth, your pick of seats early, tots & beer

Cons — Your evening out is $5 more expensive

OR you can just wait it out in line until they open up for seating for BSG after the comedy show wraps up.

5. faddah March 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

“Cajunized” Tots w/ Christie & Sherri = EPIC! so say we all? SO SAY WE ALL!!

6. faddah March 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

deperately trying to save seats for pals outside. git in here already! my jacket on yer seat is being eyed by hooligans!

7. Sherri Montgomery March 20, 2009 at 4:22 pm #

Made into a comfy sofa up in the balcony at the Bagdad thanks to the line-waiting, crowd-tolerating skills of Faddah & Christie! Enjoying some ‘cajun style’ tots, a porter and the free wi-fi.

I love Portland!

8. faddah March 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

the comedy if of a calliber that *both* @christiekoehler & i have laptops out working on php & blog sites in the balcony. turns out – for the comedy show? our $5 went to NORML as a benefit. who knew? did we actually get let in the theater @ 4:20??

9. faddah March 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm #

the big, sweaty (he wasn’t that hairy – *I’M* more hairy) was, yes, indeed part of the comedy show. it was a moment of “¡luche libré!”-style wrestling. that was a high moment in the comedy show. and that should tell you something. comedy now – blissfully over (although i appreciate the efforts of comedy m.c. & comic book author tristan, who is my neighbor on s.e. madison). waiting for the throng to crowd in.

10. faddah March 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm #

the big, sweaty man with no shirt (he wasn’t that hairy – *I’M* more hairy) was, yes, indeed part of the comedy show. it was a moment of “¡luche libré!”-style wrestling. he was wearing a “¡luche libré!” mask, after all. that was a high moment in the comedy show. and that should tell you something. comedy now – blissfully over (although i appreciate the efforts of comedy m.c. & comic book author tristan, who is my neighbor on s.e. madison). waiting for the throng to crowd in.

11. Sherri Montgomery March 20, 2009 at 5:56 pm #

Well…. The comedy show has gotten us in out of the rain, that’s something to be very thankful for. That and the wi-fi (although am wishing that the power locations and the wi-fi signal would be more complimentary)

Hey, Bagdad, power outlets + wi-fi + comfy sofas + beer = BLISS!

Just in time for a power break too… Rather large, certainly hairy man just ran shirtless from the stage. Uhh… ewwww! To be honest, he did get the most applause yet.

12. faddah March 21, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

so the wrap up – aside from enduring some early stuff at the beginning with the early-on comics, an over all great evening. as for the final 2-hour episode itself? well, i don’t quite know, to be honest. don’t get me wrong: in many senses it was wholly satisfying, extremely well-written, directed, and, of course, acted by the stellar ensemble cast. lots of proper notes of the ending of certain story and character arcs hit the right place and then some. but some things were left just a bit too open ended that left me going … huh? not that you can’t have some mystery, but at least point me in the general direction of where i should be looking, rather than leaving me further bewildered. but that’s a writer/producer’s choice, and maybe that’s what the two-hour BSG movie in the fall directed by edward james olmos, “the plan,” and the coming “caprica” pre-quel series are about.

in any case, it was a great 10 weeks with sherri, christie, judy, morgan, aaron and others. so there you go. excellent television as a massive spectator sport. thanx kufo. bagdad – a qualified thank you, but you really gotta get some things under control, like handling admission to the event when you’re getting mobbed when a big star like katee (be still, my heart!) is there, as sherri says, more outlets for pre-show mobile computing, a little less ‘tude from the box office maven, etc. and i have a general complaint about mcmennamin’s food save the salads, boca burgers and tots, but that’s nothing bagdad themselves can control. so say we all? SO SAY WE ALL!!